1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new Norinco. I want to change out my thumb safety. Bought off ebay wilson safety. Can anyone out there give me some tips on how to replace same. I know it is supposed to be easy but I am mechanically challenged.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Try running a search I know this has been covered before. You will need to fit the safety to the sear in your gun. Go slow and remove a little material at a time. You can see how the safety fits by removing the grip safety and putting the thumb safety back in place. Search for it here and I know there are pretty detailed instructions . If that does not work try www.blinghogg.com He has some good info on gunsmithing on his site.

Edited to fix link and typos

·
Banned
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I'm off in search if my grail.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
DON'T start filing or stoning until you are sure it is needed.

I will probably get in trouble again for heresy, but I like to remove the internal parts and just install the safety alone. This makes sure it fits, that it interfaces with the plunger OK and that it locks into the frame properly when in the up and down postions.

Then install the internal parts and install the safety. Try to set it to the ON (upward position). If it goes up OK, try to pull the trigger. Any sear movement is not good; you may have to try a new sear.

If it won't engage the sear (you can't move it to the ON position - the normal condition for a new safety), stone carefully on the engagement surface. This is a cut and try proposition, so be patient. You may need to install and remove the safety a half dozen times but better to take off too little metal than too much. (To make the job easier, you might want to remove the safety spring and the plungers from the spring tube, so you don't have to fight the plunger every time you install the safety. Remember, you already checked that interface.)

Jim

Jim

·
Banned
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Jim. I'll start to-nite. The new Norinco doesn't need much work as it is a very nice gun out of the box. Thumb safety is quite sharp edged so I have a Wilson in hnad to replace. Otherwise the gun is a shooter. May change sights only because of my eyes. Gun right now is very accurate and shoots everything I have put thru it to date with no hiccups.

Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts