1911Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
7,779 Posts
"The Beretta out shoots them."

Good comments.

Accuracy has been consistently better at the range as has reliability. It's also easier to take down for cleaning.

My 1911s are all unmodified factory configurations. I did replace the grips on the Beretta with G-10 thin grips and the hammer spring was swapped out.

I recently started handloading for the 45s. That may make some difference.
I can detail strip my carry 1911 down to bare frame sans ejector in 58 seconds with only a punch, you can't do that with any 92 type gun. Witnessed by 5 other members on this forum in person.

Take your 92 to 100 yards and see how it does vs a 1911

·
Registered
491 Posts
I can detail strip my carry 1911 down to bare frame sans ejector in 58 seconds with only a punch, you can't do that with any 92 type gun. Witnessed by 5 other members on this forum in person.

Take your 92 to 100 yards and see how it does vs a 1911

Individual shooters will vary. In 1994, Air Force Security Forces Officer Andy Brown killed an active shooter at 70 yards with his issue M9 at Fairchild AFB. Yes not 100 yards, but effective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
7,779 Posts
Individual shooters will vary. In 1994, Air Force Security Forces Officer Andy Brown killed an active shooter at 70 yards with his issue M9 at Fairchild AFB. Yes not 100 yards, but effective.

Yes but can you hand a novice a 92 and have them hitting every time? I can easily hand a relative novice a RMR 1911 or CZ and they will hit a plate every time at 50 yards, just because someone can make something work doesn't mean it's easy to do or effective.

Ease of pulling off actions with equipment is a real consideration and some individuals skill limit prevents them from ever attaining certain benchmarks unless they use better gear.

·
Registered
703 Posts

Yes but can you hand a novice a 92 and have them hitting every time? I can easily hand a relative novice a RMR 1911 or CZ and they will hit a plate every time at 50 yards, just because someone can make something work doesn't mean it's easy to do or effective.

Ease of pulling off actions with equipment is a real consideration and some individuals skill limit prevents them from ever attaining certain benchmarks unless they use better gear.
Must be a helluva big a$$ plate......

·
Banned
7,779 Posts
12 inch, you ever use a CZ Czechmate? It is very easy to hit at that range with that gun, I can casually do it one handed quite rapidly

You can do the same with other advanced guns with little effort, the 92 is not among these guns.

·
Registered
703 Posts
12 inch, you ever use a CZ Czechmate? It is very easy to hit at that range with that gun, I can casually do it one handed quite rapidly

You can do the same with other advanced guns with little effort, the 92 is not among these guns.
Big plate for a skilled shooter. I’m talking about your claim of getting a novice to hit ‘every time’ at 50 yds.

Double or triple the size, and I’m still tossing the BS flag on that one.:)

·
Banned
7,779 Posts
Big plate for a skilled shooter. I’m talking about your claim of getting a novice to hit ‘every time’ at 50 yds.

Lol, your loss. I'll record people doing so and link the video I have so far of this.....man I love it when people don't believe me...

·
Registered
703 Posts

Lol, your loss. I'll record people doing so and link the video I have so far of this.....man I love it when people don't believe me...
Not my loss. And you ‘recording people’ means little. Will you also get them to say “ I am a novice shooter” as well?:)

What happened to the recording you promised some months back about some pretty good claim you were making about 200 yd rifle shots?:)

But, to the OP’s topic, I don’t really see a valid comparison between a 92 and 1911. That’s just too much apples to oranges.

Using ‘true’ novice shooters, ‘most’ all will get better hits on reasonable targets at reasonable ranges with a 1911 over a 92.

·
Banned
7,779 Posts
Not my loss. And you ‘recording people’ means little. Will you also get them to say “ I am a novice shooter” as well?:)

What happened to the recording you promised some months back about some pretty good claim you were making about 200 yd rifle shots?:)

But, to the OP’s topic, I don’t really see a valid comparison between a 92 and 1911. That’s just too much apples to oranges.

Using ‘true’ novice shooters, ‘most’ all will get better hits on reasonable targets at reasonable ranges with a 1911 over a 92.
Two days back

·
Registered
703 Posts

Ok, what’s that mean? I seem to remember something about 5 shots in ‘x’ seconds?

I’m not doubting your general abilities, but some of your claims are laughable.

As I heard a multi time world and Nat champ say to a feller one time “quit digging while you can still see the sky.”

No ‘novice’ is gonna hit any target, except the berm ‘every time’ at 50 yds with a HG. You’ll live long enough to be embarrassed by some comments.

Most here already have. Good luck, stay safe and healthy:)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
OP again ... Mine are not expensive guns and I own a 96, not a 92. No interest in 9mm outside my Micro 9 and I wish it were 40 cal.

·
Registered
703 Posts
OP again ... Mine are not expensive guns and I own a 96, not a 92. No interest in 9mm outside my Micro 9 and I wish it were 40 cal.
Fine pistols. I’m just not sure I see an apples to apples comparison with a 1911.

Both/either are more than up to the task of a fighting pistol though. Different strokes and all that.

The one universal gripe that has some merit IMO is grip size, and grip size/ long trigger if your hands run on the smaller size.

Assuming that’s not an issue, they work very well.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I'm convinced that the gun you shoot most is the gun you shoot best, regardless of what it is. My carry pistol is a Franken gun CCO that I made years ago from a Rock Island Compact frame and an Iver Johnson Commander top end. It has thousands and thousands of rounds through it. I shoot it better than anything else I own, even pistols that are more expensive brands. Because I have put so many rounds through it, I know where it's going to hit when I aim it. If you have shot your Beretta a lot more than your 1911's, you will shoot it better.

You know how when you get into a rental car you sort of fumble around with the ignition, but when you get back in your car, the key goes in without you even realizing it. It's the same thing.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I actually have more trigger time with the 1911's.

Plaidad - interesting you mention Iver Johnson. Not too many people are aware of them even though they've been around ... forever ... I like my Thrasher and am trying to love my Thrasher. I think I can get accuracy where I want it with my handloads. I picked up a cross-draw holster for it. I carry it with my Kore Essentials tactical ratchet belt. The gun is all steel and a bit on the heavy side but the belt snugs it up nicely for carry.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Fine pistols. I’m just not sure I see an apples to apples comparison with a 1911.

The one universal gripe that has some merit IMO is grip size, and grip size/ long trigger if your hands run on the smaller size.
I put the slim grips on the Beretta. What a difference! I wear a LG size glove but the double stack 40 cal magazine in the Beretta with the factory grips was a bit much for my hand. Not so now.

All my 1911's are singe stack and I like the way they fit my hand.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
:)
Is there a challenge in there somewhere? I'm a long gunner. Pistols have only come on the scene for me since I moved to TX two years ago.

I have lots of competitive games with rifles. I'm also very good at them. if anyone wants a good-spirited friendly shooting competition, I'm in.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
At one time I carried a 96FS Inox on duty. Compared to all other duty guns I've carried, it was the least accurate, by far. In fact, of all .40 S&W-chambered handguns I've owned, the 96FS displayed the worst overall accuracy, regardless of bullet weights tried.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts