1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering, since I have never shot an HP, and have no access to one (now that my favorite gun shop has sold the one it had in the rental counter!), for a female, what is the difference in recoil , and easy of shootabilty between a standard pressure 185 grn. 1911 .45 auto, and a standard pressure 115 grn. HP 9mm ?

It has been my experience that, there is so little difference between the recoil/shootability of a 23 oz. Glock 19 115 grn. 9mm, and a 38 oz. 1911 185 grn. .45 auto, that there is no reason not to choose the .45 auto for a lightly built female.

However, I have no yet been able to experience the 32 oz. HP for the same comparison. Would like to stay w/ the .45 auto, I think, if the difference is not that great.

Thoughts, guys?
Elsworth

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
People generally shoot the HP better because of the lower recoil from the 9mm cartridge. Most people choose the 1911 over the HP as a carry round because of the caliber difference (.45 ACP vs 9mm).

Try one sometime. You'll love the HP.

·
Registered
550 Posts
The High Power cannot be made to have as crisp a trigger as a 1911 because of the trigger linkage. To some, this makes the High Power slightly more difficult to shoot.

Some people react more to muzzle blast than felt recoil. The High Power has a sharper blast due to the higher pressure cartridge, and is perhaps a bit more startling to those who are more sensitive to it.

However, you can adapt to any reasonable pistol with a bit of training and practice. Both are conceptually fine pistols which can be mastered with reasonable effort. The primary difference is caliber.

The High Power can be had in .40 S&W, which is more like it.

On the other hand, a 1911 can be had as light as 30 oz. in a full sized piece, or 25 oz. in a cut down variety.

·
Registered
35 Posts
i guess im one of the few people who shoot better with the hp, seems aim itself and i have no problem with the trigger i got it down to 3lbs it works fine

·
Registered
977 Posts
Forgetting about recoil for a moment, the HP does seem to point better for me, but the 1911 has better overall balance. Hard to say which I shoot better, but I prefer the 1911 in .45ACP for defense. Guess that's why I have more than one of each.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I love the feel and ergonomics of my BHP. No other gun feels better in my hand. That said, I just can't shoot the BHP worth a .... I don't' like the trigger reset, but more importantly, I don't like the crack or whip of the supersonic 9mm round. Even though the .45 has more punch, the recoil bothers me less.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for giving me some pointers in what to look out for when shooting an HP.

I think I am going to just have to try one for myself side by side w/ my 1911 to see.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Elsworth,

My wife VASTLY prefers the BHP to my 1911 Kimber full-size. In fact she has threatened to take the BHP from me on more than one occassion. She outshoots me with the BHP any day of the week. But I can outshoot her with my Kimber (not my much). There are some females that can handle the "shove" of a .45 (230grain) but my wife can't. She prefers the little snap of the 9mm to the BIG shove of the .45ACP. She also likes the 17+1 factor of the BHP. When we finally get CCW passed here in Ohio I will be giving her the BHP for her carry gun. And I definitely won't feel like she's under-gunned.

The ONLY way you will know which gun to buy is to get each into your female's hands and let her try them side-by-side. Good luck and have fun.

Regards,

Warm Bore

------------------
"Molon Labe, and you can have the bullets first!!!"

·
Registered
977 Posts
Warm Bore, Your a lucky man. Your wife only threatened to take your HP, mine did! Fortunately, my Wickmann HP was not too far behind, so my EGW HP is now hers.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I love my 1911's but I must disagree with most of the posters here--I can shoot my BHP 9mm better than any other gun I own. The recoil is negligible and the trigger is excellent (after the removal of the mag safety of course). The pointability and balance are superb, and the resulting accuracy is awesome.

And btw, my wife thinks so too. She finds the .45 recoil to be much less tolerable. Of all my handguns, she still prefers the BHP over anything else.

I practice mostly with .45, and carry it as well (my Ultra CDP is my second favorite gun...), but for "ease of shooting well", at least for me and my wife, there is no comparison--the BHP wins hands down.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
I prefer the trigger of the 1911, which is noticably better than a BHP. But the grip, and general handling of the HP are better to me. I am fine with the .45 as a defensive round, but only with 230 grain bullets; however the 9mm hardball - especially the NATO load, will do better against tactical barriers.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Stated by WarmBore:
When we finally get CCW passed here in Ohio I will be giving her the BHP for her carry gun.

LOL, I guess you really have no intention of ever giving here the BHP huh?

It's really too bad. I'm certified to train all my friends in Michigan for their CCW, but it won't happen in any near future for Ohio...

·
Registered
33 Posts
bigbore,

You got that right. The entire issue has been back-burnered until fall. Ohio = hallowed ground for criminals.

Regards,

Warm Bore

------------------
"Molon Labe, and you can have the bullets first!!!"

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To answer my own question...

I found that the difference between a 38oz. 1911 and a BHP, in terms of ease of shooting, was somewhat insignficant , for me. The BHP probably recoils about 10-15% less. If you can shoot a BHP, you can shoot an all steel govenment nearly as well. ( I am a little lite in the butt too, at only 150lbs.).

The real difference in shootability became more apparent the more you shoot. After about 100 rounds, the 1911 is making me a little fatigued, where as I can shoot the BHP on and on.

The answer? I dunno.

It sure is nice to feel the heft of the 1911, look over its long rounded slide, and see its yawning muzzle in the mirror. But, the gun is heavy to lug around all the time!

On the other hand,

The HP is very accurate, a little faster handling, and holds more buwetts.

Someone else choose for me! I can't make up my mind.

Elsworth

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Like I stated, a lot of it is by 'feel'. Choosing between one or the other is like choosing between one's kids. Both are great designs that usually bring out the best accuracy in people

1 - 15 of 15 Posts