1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at another 45, will use it for target/range shooting or may be home security.

I tried the Glock 21 and the grip is way too big for me – even though I love my Beretta Brigade (which others complain of its size). :D

Apart from price (HK Tactic is over $1300), anything else you can recommend on them? Or other pistol you recommend (sorry – G21 doesn’t work out for me). :confused:

Pros/Cons on the above?

I love and own a few 1911 already (TLE/II, SA Mil-Spec, etc)… but looking for a “Polymer” 45 (and would like to stay away from the 9 and 40). :dope:

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
280 Posts
hkfooey said:
I love and own a few 1911 already (TLE/II, SA Mil-Spec, etc)… but looking for a “Polymer” 45 (and would like to stay away from the 9 and 40). :dope:
I own 1911's and a P220. The SIG doesn't come in Polymer. The P220 is a great pistol. For a Polymer 1911 I'd build a custom on an STI frame or purchase an STI. I can't compare an H&K to an STI.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I only own 1911's at this point. I had an HK but I kept decocking it every time I rode the thumb safety as I would a 1911. It drove me nuts so I sold it. YMMV.

S

·
Registered
249 Posts
I just sold a hk usp45 compact stainless, not because I didn't like it, just offered more money than I could turn down. It is a great gun, just not my favorite. I am not a fan of polymer but that one is the only one I like at all. I own a couple of Glocks 17 & 23 but just not a fan. If I had to choose a gun to depend on that was not a 1911, it would be a sig. I have a p229 and a p229sport that I Love....P220 is on the list of wants. Either way you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
490 Posts
The USP tac is a great gun as long as it's not for CCW (can be done, but she's big). I had a standard USP .45 that was the most accurate .45 I've ever shot. The large, logical controls make for fast handling under stress, also. Nothing wrong with Sigs, either, Im just not a fan of DA/SA autos.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MXRacer is right – Sig is not Polymer (except Sig Pro).

Also found that we can’t have HK Tactical here in “Kalifornia”. Too bad. :grumble:

The reason I want to stick with 45 ACP is that most of my stuff are in that format (90% of my pistols are 1911), therefore I don’t have to deal with other ammo/reload … or else I can always go with 40SW or 357 – which give me more choices on “Polymer” pistol.

Or else – for the same $$$ (or similar), I can get another Kimber Custom II or something like that … :D

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have two 1911's that I dearly love and am waiting for a third. The fit, finish and ergonomics are just what I want in a handgun, but... my "go to" gun for home defence is a USP 45. It is an appliance, and has never never never ever had a fail to feed/extract or failure to go into battery. My heart belongs to the 1911's but my head tells me to use the one that ALWAYS works for serious social work. And of course, the true use of a pistol for home defence is only to lay down cover fire on the way to the 12 gauge.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I love my USP tac .45, but be warned, if the grips on a Glock are too big for you then you might have the same problem with the USP. About the Sig, I shot one once and was unimpressed. I think that they are good guns, but I really had to go with the USP after shooting it. My advice, and I have said this a number of times, is to hit a range, if you can, and try them out. See which one you like the most. If you buy one and then decide that you don't like it, then sell it and try something else. Yeah you may lose a little money, but isn't it worth it to find a gun that you are sure about? We are talking about something that you might have to protect yourself with one day, so be sure.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I do not care for either the H&K or Sig P220, neither feel right in my hand. I love 1911A1s and they are my first choice in a 45acp. I also think you should go to a shop and handle a Glock 30. Why? If it will fit your hand it has eerie accuracy and very soft recoil. Regards, Richard :D

·
Registered
150 Posts
Comparison

I've had 2 HK's, the USP FS 45acp and the USP Expert 45acp. The basic USP had problems with occasional light strikes, the trigger was long in DAO/SAO with a long reset as well. Customer service was just OK. The Expert is incredibly accurate but same even with the match trigger. I had the trigger worked on by Bruce Gray and it is as close to a 1911 as I can get. The big plus is that I can get hicaps with a modified base pad to carry 17 +1. The HK HE finish is NO Tennifer, it will rust if given the chance. The grip is definitely smaller than a Glock 21 which is huge for my smallist hands. I went to the USP because I wanted a double stack with a light option back7 yrs ago. The Sig was nice but I didn't want to learn another manual of arms routine. It was cumbersome enough going back and forth from my Para to my Glock. I just recenty sold my Para and have a loaded SA ready but I've been shooting my HK and Glock 35 exclusively for the last 6 yrs, I don't know what it would be like again to go back to a 1911(considering my bad experience with my Para).
Racine

·
Registered
259 Posts
Both are excellent. As another poster noted, it is very easy to ride the thumb safety all the way to decock when taking it off-safe during a draw or whatever on the USP. The grip is large but not as big as the glock21 despite looking huge. I think the USP is softer to shoot (unless you are talking about a 220ST, which shoots so well I feel like a jedi), but the regular 220 isn't bad.

My only complaint with the 220 is that it is too smooth for me. The grips have what the factory calls "negative stippling" instead of the "positive stippling" it has on its 228/229/226 guns. Further, there are no serrations on the front strap. So, the grip gets slippery to me when my hands get sweaty. You can put a hogue on it, but I don't care for that feel. Fortunately I learned that hogue will take the factory grip and checker it for about $40...made a huge difference in gripability (yes that's a word).

That said, I now love my 220 even more...it's a classic.

Howard

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After reading all your comments, I went to the shop and check out both Sig 220 & HK USP 45. They all look good. And there is a certifed Sig 220 for around $650 with 2 mag. The guy at the store also shows me a Ruger P90 (which is also 45)... much cheaper (compare to Sig/HK) in price.

Decision, decsion... after all… I think I might just leave it as it and go for another 1911 instead (O well, I am in the 1911 forum, am I?) :biglaugh:

·
Registered
259 Posts
You might check out ordnanceoutsellers.com...they likely have new 220s for only slightly more than that. James, the owner, has a stellar reputation on the sigforum.

Howard

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Unfortunately I live in "Kalifornia"... by the time I get it into CA, with FFL, S/H and everything else, it would be better off to get them locally. :bawling:

·
Premium Member
5,968 Posts
hkfooey said:
I tried the Glock 21 and the grip is way too big for me – even though I love my Beretta Brigade. Apart from price (HK Tactic is over $1300), anything else you can recommend on them? :confused: Pros/Cons on the above?
I love and own a few 1911 already
Marky Mark Quote :The USP tac is a great gun as long as it's not for CCW (can be done, but she's big)

Yep. Had a USP myself. She's reallly big. You say you love 1911's? If I was going to go poly, It'd be the Glock (which you don't like) or the XD. Otherwise, why not another 1911??

·
Registered
103 Posts
I used to think the 220 was the best until I started shooting 1911's. Now mine just sits very lonely in the safe. The 1911's grip angle, the fact the bore is close to your hands, and the consistent trigger are just, for me anyway, superior. It's a shame really as the 220 was my first pistol and I just don't use it anymore.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Take another look at the Ruger.....

The P90 has been very well recieved. I personally own a P97DC and I've been very impressed by it's accuracy and reliability. No longer being made but there are still quite a few of them out there.

·
Registered
227 Posts
P90's are very affordable (new less then $300). My buddy has one for self defense and I"ve put about 200 rounds thru it over the past few years. Not a bad little gun. I've never had it lock up on me, and i've put hollowpoints, semi-wad cutters etc thru it.

Its a great plinking gun, but I think its a little bulkey for day to day carry. Right now we're trying to descide on which to get my girlfriend nicole for concealed carry

3" XD in 9x19
or HK compact usp in 9x19
(9mm because thats about the most high power caliber she can handle)

I love HK's, however haven't shot the new XD's at all. Plus the price range on the XD makes them not gouge your wallet so bad.

Plus at the lesser price, I wouldn't feel bad about it riding along in her purse day to day...

Yes my opinions change hourly :p

1 - 20 of 26 Posts