1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided for my next gun purchase to be a 1911 Springfield Operator. I need some advise on whether to get the regular or lightweight. Also what magazines to purchase. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Are you looking for a range gun or something to carry? Generally folks go for lightweight guns for carry and steel for range work but some of us shoot the hell out of our aluminum guns too. If for carry, make sure you verify that your favorite holster comes in a version for railed guns.

As to mags, Wilson, Tripp, CMC, etc all make good mags so pick one and try it. Some folks have good luck with the factory mags too.

·
Registered
6,646 Posts
TRP Operator is what I carry she is awesome. Only thing she will not work with a Safariland ALS holster. The ALS does not engage the weapon. I called Safariland and the nice lady I talked with confirmed it. So, I went back to the 6280 duty holster.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Totally unrelated, rhetorical question... why do people refer to their handguns as "she"...? Personally, I've never met a feminine handgun.

Sorry, didn't mean to distract the thread. I will go away now.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Totally unrelated, rhetorical question... why do people refer to their handguns as "she"...? Personally, I've never met a feminine handgun.

Sorry, didn't mean to distract the thread. I will go away now.
Well ... my guns are loud, demand my focused attention, and cost me a lot of money. If they were a little softer I'd swear it was my wife!

·
Registered
620 Posts
Excellent comeback. I cannot argue with that one at all.

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
Well if money is flush, I'd snag one of the railed Pros on Gunbroker.

They'll set ya back $3K, but they come with six mags and are ready to go.

Other than that, I'd go with an MC Operator with a few minor mods:

- New mainspring housing sans ILS (I just use a Colt plastic).
- EGW, Wilson, Ed Brown or some other quality pins and plunger for the MSH
- Wolff 20-23lb mainspring (I like a 20).
- EGW .075" steel firing pin (you may have to fit it, only takes a drill and some emory cloth).
- Flat head grip screws
- CMC Powermags.
- Let a competent 'smith look it over and address any issues/give it a clean bill of health before carrying on duty
- Shoot it with issued ammo to verify proper function.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I would definitely go for all steel. Yes, a little heavier, but you will get used to it. Recoil will be more manageable with an all steel gun and theoretically the frame should last longer. I carry a SS TRP for duty.

·
Registered
524 Posts

Def. go with the MC. I recently sold a LW that although a very nice gun...just didnt seem up to par with my MC. KEEP the pachmayr wrap arounds!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Confused

I really appreciate all the input and suggestions. I'm torn between Springfield and now I'm looking at the Kimber Tactical Entry II.

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
I really appreciate all the input and suggestions. I'm torn between Springfield and now I'm looking at the Kimber Tactical Entry II.
Oh Gawd! Clear yo' mind and stay away from anything Kimber! Especially anything Kimber II.

Seriously. Kimber does not produce anything worth choosing over a Springfield.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Agree with 'samuse' stay with Springfield - go with the TRP Operator.

Mags - Tripp or Metalform.

Grant

·
Registered
524 Posts
How is the LW operator w/ a light? Recoil and Follow up on 2nd shot?
The LW with a light is good to go. Like i said, I had one recently but sold it to fund another trp. It had a round count of nearly 2k. I had a tlr1 on mine and it ran like a sewing machine. I could def. tell the difference between the 2 when every day carrying....it was much more do-able and comfortable for everyday carry. for some reason it felt as if the slide/frame loosened up quicker with the alloy frame as apposed to my all steel frame...but that could just be in my head....I dont think you could go wrong either with either the MC or LW, however you can go wrong if you throw kimber into the mix....:biglaugh:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts