1911Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
"Are you going to try to save lives?"

Only my own, and if need be a family member's. Strangers are on their own.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Get an optic. That will make near any gun get hits at 100 with very little user effort, reason I argue ammo does't matter is because all my optic guns can hit a 4 inch plate every single time at 50 yards no matter if it's a glock, CZ, 1911, or FN. I use really cheap ammo to practice with too......
I couldn't agree more. My buddy showed up to the range with a 1911 with a laser and was doing OK I joked about that being cheating. So he challenged me and said he would swap guns. I took his gun emptied the clip with results that were much better than he saw me getting with my 1911 (with extensive work done by the Marine Corp pistol team gunsmith) and significantly better than he had been doing. He shot my gun terribly and blamed the gun. My brother who was on the Marine Corp pistol team was with me and took my gun and made a nice 2 hole.
If you can't hit a target with optics you can't hit a target.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
953 Posts
There is a story I have told before. Shooting Bullseye I am mediocre. A friend using a Les Baer usually wipes out the 10 ring so badly I joke that how can you validate the number of hits since that area is gone? So one day we switch my Sig Stainless Target for his LB. He did the same thing with my Sig and I was still mediocre with the LB. It may have something to do with the shooter.

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Their is a distance at which self defense is not considered valid. Even 50 yards is not close enough I believe. Not my opinion, you do need to be able to prove that you believed your life was in danger.
I shoot most handguns at 25 yds practicing. But at the end of a shoot I go out to 100yds. I think if we’re in danger the longer shot maybe needed we never know.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I recall my first times hooting the Les Baer TRS. I'd been shooting a Mk IV Series '70 GCNM for almost 25 years when I got a sweet deal from my gunsmith on the TRS. Using Remington UMC 230 gr FMJ, this pistol put every round right where I wanted them to go - and this with factory ammo. It was a revelation.

(I also nearly got a hernia the first time I racked it. Baer's pistols lock up tighter than Scrooge McDuck's wall safe.)

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
1911 Accuracy.....

I have always been a fan of accurate 1911 pistols.....but there is a wide range of what people think is "accurate." I am a DIY gunsmith, buy the parts, then fit them to make my guns accurate. Once I build a 1911 or STI 2011 gun, I have done everything I know to make an accurate pistol, but the proof is in testing the gun with live ammo.....:)

I once built an STI 2011, and when testing the gun at 25 yards using a sand bag rest, the results were mediocre, and shot groups of 3"-5" and I was disappointed. I then began making different reloads, trying different powder and bullets, and eventually found the "sweet spot" for ammo with that gun. With my reloads, the gun fired from a sandbag rest at 25 yards, would shoot five shot groups roughly 1.5" center to center. To obtain optimal accuracy by reloading, I use either new or once fired brass with all matching head stamps which usually produces the best results.

When discussing the accuracy of any gun, you need to remove the human error, and judge the accuracy of the gun when shooting from a good rested position. A Ransom machine rest is often used to test a guns accuracy. Often times, the accuracy of any gun can be improved by reloading your own ammo and testing various powders and bullet weights to find out what shoots best in that gun.... Even with the most accurate handgun, shooting good groups at various distances is still only as good as the person pressing on the trigger..... There are exceptions, but for most handgun enthusiasts, it takes a great deal of practice using the proper fundamentals to become a good/proficient handgun shooter that can "hit where they aim!" :rock:

·
Registered
34 Posts
When I was shooting on the Army pistol team back in '71 I was able to keep 5 shot groups about golf ball sized with my Remington Rand at standard competition distances - one-handed shooting of course back then. Understanding that with age the remembered groups get smaller, the caught or lost fish bigger and the girls I kissed prettier.

Ammo? Whatever mil-surp crapola came out of the ammo bunker in North Carolina - lol

I always try to repost Hickok45's fine video on 'accuracy' when the topic comes up on forums -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVzSAm5VhfE&t=597s
good video... good point ... some people won’t get it though... he’s probably shot more ammo than the gunner of an A-10 Thunderbolt II (Warthog)

·
Registered
13,349 Posts
A stock WW2 1911 can hit Nazis at 50 yards.

But Japanese Imperial soldiers are smaller, so 40 yards for them.

And for OUR current, most common civilian threat, meth heads at 10 feet.

As for tiny clusters on paper targets, that's a different ball game.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts