1911Forum banner

1911a1 accuracy?

7K views 48 replies 30 participants last post by  mdellis49 
#1 ·
Let’s say how accurate are you with a right out of the box 1911?

Brand of 1911?

Brand of ammo?

Distance?

#43 ·
There is a story I have told before. Shooting Bullseye I am mediocre. A friend using a Les Baer usually wipes out the 10 ring so badly I joke that how can you validate the number of hits since that area is gone? So one day we switch my Sig Stainless Target for his LB. He did the same thing with my Sig and I was still mediocre with the LB. It may have something to do with the shooter.

#45 ·
I recall my first times hooting the Les Baer TRS. I'd been shooting a Mk IV Series '70 GCNM for almost 25 years when I got a sweet deal from my gunsmith on the TRS. Using Remington UMC 230 gr FMJ, this pistol put every round right where I wanted them to go - and this with factory ammo. It was a revelation.

(I also nearly got a hernia the first time I racked it. Baer's pistols lock up tighter than Scrooge McDuck's wall safe.)

#46 · (Edited)
1911 Accuracy.....

I have always been a fan of accurate 1911 pistols.....but there is a wide range of what people think is "accurate." I am a DIY gunsmith, buy the parts, then fit them to make my guns accurate. Once I build a 1911 or STI 2011 gun, I have done everything I know to make an accurate pistol, but the proof is in testing the gun with live ammo.....:)

I once built an STI 2011, and when testing the gun at 25 yards using a sand bag rest, the results were mediocre, and shot groups of 3"-5" and I was disappointed. I then began making different reloads, trying different powder and bullets, and eventually found the "sweet spot" for ammo with that gun. With my reloads, the gun fired from a sandbag rest at 25 yards, would shoot five shot groups roughly 1.5" center to center. To obtain optimal accuracy by reloading, I use either new or once fired brass with all matching head stamps which usually produces the best results.

When discussing the accuracy of any gun, you need to remove the human error, and judge the accuracy of the gun when shooting from a good rested position. A Ransom machine rest is often used to test a guns accuracy. Often times, the accuracy of any gun can be improved by reloading your own ammo and testing various powders and bullet weights to find out what shoots best in that gun.... Even with the most accurate handgun, shooting good groups at various distances is still only as good as the person pressing on the trigger..... There are exceptions, but for most handgun enthusiasts, it takes a great deal of practice using the proper fundamentals to become a good/proficient handgun shooter that can "hit where they aim!" :rock:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.