1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am helping a friend find a used 1911 and I need a few questions answered. I found a 1911A1 series 80 stainless gun that has been fired less than 100 rounds. It is the older model with the LARGE roll mark on the slide. I have read that this model has a plastic trigger. Are there other plastic parts in this gun? Are there any good reasons to stay away from this gun? My buddy had a budget of $600 and this one will just fit that budget. He can get it for $560.00 plus shipping. Is that a fair,good,great or bad deal? Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
7,704 Posts
agreed, parts do not need replacing. Should be a very good buy at that price. I wouldn't sell one for that if I had it.:rock:

·
Registered
826 Posts
It's a 1991A1 rather than a 1911A1.

Yes, the mainspring housing is plastic. As well as the trigger- although the trigger stirrup is steel. I still have the original mainspring housing on mine, but I have changed the trigger since I bought mine.

I have the 1991A1 Commander model. Great shooter!! I've had it since 1994 and have fired thousands of rounds through it. It's never really had a problem with misfeeds. Only worn magazine springs have caused me any problems.

Try to get the price down some more if at all possible- that's the bargainer in me talking. Or have them throw in a couple of boxes in target ammo.

if you do a search on my name (dsonyay) you'll see a post from 2002 where I show off my newly customized 1991. The pics aren't much to brag about, but the results of the custom work were. Man, I really like my Commander.

·
Registered
826 Posts
one more thing

Forgot to add- it won't have MIM parts, if that's something that matters. I'm not sure about new 1991A1s, but the older ones did not use MIM.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,288 Posts
My '91A1 had a MIM extractor, along with the plastic trigger and MSH. I thought the gun was from the late '90s, but somewhere on this forum, someone claimed Colt used the MIM extractors only in the '01-'02 period; either way, it was during the ORM era.

·
Registered
826 Posts
RickB said:
My '91A1 had a MIM extractor, along with the plastic trigger and MSH. I thought the gun was from the late '90s, but somewhere on this forum, someone claimed Colt used the MIM extractors only in the '01-'02 period; either way, it was during the ORM era.
yeah, I should have thought more about how worded my post. Mine was made in 1994, and does not have MIM parts. I figured all the ORM types would be like that. I didn't realize the ORM types went beyond 2001.

sorry to put out bad info.

·
Administrator
73,795 Posts
Colt was using MIM extractors from around 1999 to around 2002 or so. The later ORM guns would've had them, but at least that's something that's easy to replace. If the pistol is in like-new condition then the price is fair.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
i had two 91A1's, my first one had a blued barrel, i wound up putting night sights on it and it was my duty gun for years... never had one single problem out of it! i got a newer one ( still the old roll marks) that came with a stainless barrel, and it too ran like a champ, i never had a malfuntion with it either, though it only had 1000 or so rounds through it, unlike the first one i had that had around 20,000 through it.

if i could find one at a good price i would jump on it if it was all original inside.

the way i feel, when colt changed the rollmarks and finish ( which was a great move in one sense) they up'd the price enough that nowdays the springfield GI45 is about the best budget quality 1911... if colt had kept the basic 91A1 and kept it around 500 new, they would sell like hotcakes!

russel
SDMF

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
As long as that ORM Colt has not been "improved" (dremeled out) by an apprentice kitchen table gunsmith, go for it. Inspect the frame's feedramp and barrel throat carefully. If you dont know what to look for, get a copy of Wilson's The Combat .45 . It has a good picture of what the feed ramp and barrel throat should look like. Good luck!

Regards,
Andy

·
Registered
148 Posts
I would think that is a great price. A NIB NRM 1991 is going for $686 at buds.

I like the ORM parkerized finish. Is there a reason a NRM model is more desirable?

·
Banned
7,485 Posts
I keep forgetting. Is my M1991A1 pistol NRM or ORM? Lettering is pretty big.

Trigger and grips are out of my parts box, the original trigger was a long plastic version.

Looks like this after drop in modifications and Novak sights:

-- Chuck

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Chuck, these are ORM, the NRM just say "Colt government model 45 automatic caliber" and the right side would have "Series 80"

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,288 Posts
russel5150 said:
the way i feel, when colt changed the rollmarks and finish ( which was a great move in one sense) they up'd the price enough that nowdays the springfield GI45 is about the best budget quality 1911... if colt had kept the basic 91A1 and kept it around 500 new, they would sell like hotcakes!

russel
SDMF
There's no way Colt could sell a pistol for $500, matte finish or otherwise. I think it became apparent that even the "cheap" ORM gun was not competitive with the Springfield Mil-Spec, so they went upmarket a bit, where there really isn't any competition. Springfield doesn't make blued guns anymore, so if you want that nice finish, you'll spend a bit more for a Colt.

·
Banned
380 Posts
I like the early series 80 pistols. They upgrade very nicely. The plastic parts hurt nothing, but purists (such as myself) add some weight by swapping in steel for the plastic. Tritium front sights are nice too... This one was an early 'play with' of mine. The roll markings were very faint, so I left them alone, but everything that was plastic is steel now. Wide spur hammer, etc. Obviously the ultra-cheap black plastic grips had to go also.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
There's no way Colt could sell a pistol for $500
Maybe the bottom half...:D

The "cheapest" American made 1911s are really in the $750 range.

Prices vary, but where I am, you'll just get a Springfield GI for $500...just wait for the round of price increases. And that's from a lower waged, foreign company with modern machinery and high volumes.

Now, you have a wave of even lower priced guns in like RIA and Taurus, etc, etc. In a couple of years the RIA "tactical/match" types will be $500.

Colt made the right decision to be the "highend" production maker...IMO.
Not that they actually had a choice. ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts