1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi:
I have a post-war commercial, made within the first 200 pistols. They incorporate many, but not necessarily all, military parts in stock at the time of conversion to the post war commercial line. The gun is blued, "C" prefix, no Government property marking, etc. The curious thing is that the fame has no grip swell, though other A1 features are present. My question is this: is it possible to take a 1911A! frame and alter it to a straight grip back profile - or is it possible that Colt took some early 1911 frames and put them into service?
Any informed opinion, or even an educated guess, would be appreciated.
von Schleicher

·
Administrator
74,042 Posts
M1911 and M1911A1 frames are identical except for the finger relief cuts behind the trigger (and slightly longer dust cover). The grip frame profile was still the same. Are you by chance actually referring to the mainspring housing? That's a separate and easily-replaced component. An M1911 flat housing and 'A1 arched housing will easily interchange.

Photo courtesy of Brownells

·
Premium Member
15,730 Posts
The pistol had an arched MSH when new. Someone swapped it out to suit their hand better. You can find Colt Government Model MSHs without much trouble. Sometimes they require fitting. If its really a 1946 GM, you probably should make sure you put the correct MSH in it. An otherwise original 1946 with good original finish has enough value for the extra trouble. It also should have Colt M1911A1 brown plastic grips with the large rings around the screw holes. These are usually found starting at $15.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi:
Thank you for the reply. My nomenclature might be in error, but I am referring to the back of the grip which is in contact with the palm of the hand. My frame does have the finger relief cuts, which I imagine could be machined into either an original 1911 frame as done with the A1 frame. The inserted piece, similar to what is shown in the illustration, has no grooves and from patina and hand wear it seems contemporary with the rest of the pistol.
I assume these early post war C's are scarce and in the first few Colt built I imagine anything could happen as they were sifting around for parts. In other respects the pistol is just what one would expect. The serial number is in the range C2201xx.
Thanks for any further thoughts.
von Schleicher

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Hi:
<<Snip >>> from patina and hand wear it seems contemporary with the rest of the pistol.

Thanks for any further thoughts.
von Schleicher
This further thought; If the original purchaser changed out the MSH the first week or so he owned it, the results would be exactly as you state.

Bob

·
Administrator
74,042 Posts
Somebody simply didn't like the feel of the factory arched mainspring housing and stuck an old WW1-era housing on it instead. Colt would not have put it on themselves as the smooth flat housings had not been made in 20 years by that time. You need to remember that the pistol is nearly 70 years old and has gone through multiple owners by now. We routinely see pistols on this forum that are brand-new out of the box and guys are swapping out parts already.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts