1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone out there have one of these? I can pick it up at a local shop for $407+tax. I really want a 1911, but I am on a budget, so I don't have a great deal of money to work with. Is this model worth purchasing, or should I save and get the SS Mil-Spec. I can get that for $499.99+tax at a local gun store.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I have one and love it. THe only thing I did was change out the grips. The gun was just as accurate as my Kimber TLE. For the price that is a great gun. very reliable (so far) I only have 250 rounds thru it. But its a keeper :D

·
Registered
427 Posts
I carry mine every day in the world - it's been 100% reliable to a thousand+ rounds now.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I think you've made the right choice in companies, based on my experience with Springfield. I have a stainless loaded, about three years old, and the new WWII mil-spec.

If I were at your point I'd get the WWII first, which I would have done had they been available three years ago, and save up for a loaded if you feel like you've just got to have another 1911. But I think the WWII would have stopped my small collection at one had I bought it first.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Ordered one yesterday came in today.

Normally I'm a Colt guy and this is my frist Springer. I can't tell y'all a great deal about it, I'm home and it's not, f%#@!*^ government bureaucrats. Tight, they are tight, I didn't take it down because I couldn't remove the barrel bushing by hand and did not want to take a chance of embarrassing myself in front of a shop full of people by kinkin' the recoil spring, just popping the slide stop nor troubling owner for a barrel bushing wrench. :p

The parkerizing job is very nice, black though and I was hoping they'd use the gray-green style. They used a lighter brown plastic than I like for the stocks, but they don't look bad at all. The gripping contours are not exactly as Colt's, but much, much, better than the Spingers use to be.

From what I could see in the available light and not taking the .45 down, throat and ramp seem to have a decent polish job on them. Barrel-slide lockup seems to be nicely fitted, as is the slide-frame. Much better trigger pull than I was expecting, light and crisp. No loaded chamber indicator slot that I saw?

The hammer & thumb safety are history as soon as it comes home, both are smaller than those used on Colt's and way to cheesy for my tastes.

They do come in a cute little OD green, recycled, corrugated, environmentalist friendly box though.

I sure wish I could tell you how the GI shot. :(

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I like my WWII model. If you want a GI style pistol, it's the one to get. If you think you might end up customizing it, the I would save up a bit more and get the Regular Mil-Spec. I have one of those as well, and and the only real difference in the shooting is the sight picture.

·
Registered
55 Posts
IF the shop has both models, look through the sights on both. A lot of people prefer the 3-dot mil-spec sights, versus the smaller GI sights.

I prefer the smaller sights. A GI gun was my first 1911, and it shot tight groups and the sights were dead-on from the factory. I experimented with some customizing, it wasn't necessary, but I found out I don't like high-rise beavertails or extended safeties.

Allaround both are very good guns without breaking the bank. If you can live with the sights, get the GI and get some spare magazines and ammo with the other $90 you save over the mil-spec.

·
Registered
34 Posts
With the $90 I saved on my WWII Mil Spec over the regular Mil Spec I got two Wilson Combat mags and Pachmyre Grips :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts