1911Forum banner

1911A1 Navy and 1911A1 USMC to follow?

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  In service to His Majesty 
#1 ·
I believe Colt is going to sell these 4,000 ARMY models rather quickly.

Colt just lost a contract with the U.S. to produce more M16 rifles. The contract was awarded to Belgium's FN, who currently makes the 5.56 SAW machine gun.

If Colt is charging distributors at least $500 each for the 1911A1 Army, the math says this is a much-needed $2,000,000 cash infusion.

With such an instant hit and needing cash, Colt might follow up on the WWII manufacture theme and produce models with US NAVY and USMC markings.

Yes or no?

Rob

#2 ·
First off, the new boss at Colt basically told the Ordnance Department to bugger off. He said he was currently producing the M16A2 at a loss and was amazed that the former management had allowed this to happen. He said that he'd gladly finish out the M4 contract, then re-bid it as well. But he said he WOULD NOT lose money in the deal.

I for one am glad to see some BALLS in the board room at Hartford. It is long overdue.

Long live Colt!

------------------
"I would like to see a restoration of a Constitutional Republic, with the federal government defanged, muzzled, shackled and cast back into its constitutional prison." - Noumenon (From FreeRepublic.com)

#5 ·
Besides, Colt only had that M16a2 contract for a year of two I think.
The M-4 contract CAN'T be lost, since Colt was awarded patent right to the upgrades when FN underbid them.
With the current situation however, I can foresee Colt getting a supplemental contract if FN can't meet numbers.

#7 ·
The FN M-16's are made within a mile of my house. I was out in the driveway last week after going hunting and unloading the ATV from the trailer late in the evening and I could hear the second shift on the indoor range letting go with the 4 round burst three times each. Man, that raised the hair on the back on my neck! Would I love to get the tour of that plant, but with all the razor wire and guard posts, I'd have better luck sneaking onto Fort Jackson a mile in the other direction.

#9 ·
They must have been Marine issue. They're that special. They get to have 4-round bursts!

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

[This message has been edited by dsk (edited 09-25-2001).]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.