1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if I am totaly out of the loop, but what exactly are these Colts going to be and when will they be available. How much? Will they be authentic repro's, markings and all?

------------------
"A flute without any holes isn't really a flute and a donut without a hole is a danish." Ty Webb

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
I also am out of the loop. I guess we'll know when their available. Then we'll be in like Flynn.

·
Administrator
73,792 Posts
Mark655 at Colt gave us some tantalizing tidbits on the Colt forum a few weeks ago, but he's been quiet ever since. It'll probably be another one of those deals that by the time the average joe hears about it the entire limited run will have been spoken for already. It's like how by the time I was even aware of the M9 Special Edition Beretta there were almost all gone. I guess the best thing to do is find the home phone number of your favorite gunwriter and begin bugging them to sell theirs once they get it.

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
Well now DSK if that is the case, like I'm sure Colt hopes for. They will surely put more into the loop for us collectors. But who's going to beat a collector. The average Joe just wants a 1911 or something that has the most listed features. You and I are looking for the Colt 1911 specifically. Nobody is going to beat you to it DSK I guarantee it.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
If Colt is doing what Mark said they were, he is probably pretty busy. I just hope they keep the price of these 1911A1's down to the point of being affordable to the average buyer.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,286 Posts
I don't know if I heard it here, but I recall $900-$1000 as the numbers being thrown around. Sounds like a lot compared to a '91A1, but I've seen enough thrashed G.I. guns priced at $1000-$1500 to make $1000 for a new gun seem reasonable.

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
I think $1000 would be to high. But $850 to $900 is the current Enhanced Government price. I would'nt want one for more than $900. Just because I like the proven variety. Maybe I'll look for a Z40 if the 1911A1's over $900.

·
Administrator
73,792 Posts
I'm still not sure if I'll try to get one or not, I guess it all depends on how authentic they look. If they're a dead ringer they'll be a potential future investment, but if Colt fails to use all steel parts and misses even one authentic feature then it'll just be a nicer-looking M1991A1. But since they're getting away from the GI look with the M1991A1 series (stainless barrel, alloy trigger) I guess they need something else to carry the flame. Let's hope they do it right this time. If they can re-create old black-powder SAAs they can certainly re-create a GI M1911A1.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are Colt's blackpowder "reissues" exact reproductions or do they have modern markings and other anachronisms? I sent a repro 1853 enfield to a gunsmith that made it "authentic", correct markings and hardwear with the modern serial # restamped on the bottom. If Colt's reissues are like this, I would be VERY interested. I want the 1911a1 to be exact save the serial #. I know that some are concerned with repros being sold as originals. I think that if you are fooled you should not be in the antique gun market.

------------------
"A flute without any holes isn't really a flute and a donut without a hole is a danish." Ty Webb

·
Administrator
73,792 Posts
I don't know if Colt ever released any blackpowder re-issues, but I do know that their Custom Shop will gladly make you a SAA with beveled cylinder flutes, bullseye ejector rod, screwless frame, etc. at your request. But if you asked them for an original 1911 without finger clearance cutouts, U-notch rear sight, wide-spur hammer, etc. they'd probably say no way. A few years ago I wanted them to make a pre-Enhanced stainless Colt Gov't but they said no. That of course annoyed me because all they would have had to do is take a stainless M1911A1 and polish the flats and put MK IV rollmarks on it! I guess maybe it wasn't fancy enough for them to bother with.

[This message has been edited by dsk (edited 03-02-2001).]

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
I kinda feel about this issue like dpcdiver, though I will gladly buy one for what I paid for my 1991S/S $550 used. It is a Colt but hey the going out of business sale ended 2yrs. ago. Though there are still some hanger ons to this concept. Just talk to some gunshops or visit gunsamerica. The masses are very misinformed when they take everything they hear. About a product they know nothing about and give it credibility. Hey if it was going to happen, it would have happened 3 yrs ago. They still say Colt though and that goes along way in my world.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts