1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I recently acquired this pistol on a trade. I really dont know much about it. I visited coolgunsite and tried to identify the marks on this pistol. I do not know for sure if it is an arsenal rebuild as I could not find any arsenal markings. This gun does not feature the Crossed Cannons on the Right rear frame, but I was told indeed that this was a WWII bring back gun from the guy I got it from. I took the trigger plate off the slide and found that the #'s matched the frame. The barrel has no markings that I can see other than a "P" near the link one side and what appears to be the initals H.S ??? on the other side of the barrel link I am not sure as its hard to see. The barrel is not pitted and the lands appear to be in good shape. The magazine has no markings that I can see. Overall this gun appears to me to be in good shape and feels nice and solid. What I found out about the gun on other sites is that the MS Housing is not the original on this gun as is should be checkerd and not ribbed. Let me know if you need any other additional info or pictures.
Any/all help would be greatly appreciated. I would like to know the approx value of what this pistol is worth.Here are some pics that I took:

·
Registered
989 Posts
Ugh, look at the finish. I'll give you fifty bucks for it so you don't have to look at that ugly old thing. :biglaugh:

Seriously, what digital camera setting did you use for the close-up detail shots? I was messing with my wife's the other night trying to do closeups of mine, and on none of the fifteen settings her super-high-tech thing has could I get a result like that.

Good pics, nice pistol.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Digital Camera

When all else fails, read the instruction book. The macro setting is not normally one of the numerous modes that a digital camera has. It should be found on the back of the camera, and most use a representation of a flower for the macro setting. The button to set the macro should be the one that can be pressed top or bottom, left or right.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a 8 megapixel digital camera and I selected the macro setting and took the pics. I am no expert by any means on photography.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Hey Johnny, what do you think about the gun? Was it refinished? To me it looks like the slide might have been refinished , due to discoloration around the sights.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Hard to say for sure if the finish is original, but I think very well could be. Is the feed ramp without finish?

Trigger is wrong, as probably are the grips. The ring around the grip screw does not look like a hollowback grip. Of course the MSH and barrel are incorrect, which was already known. No Ordnance stamp is OK on an early WB. Some later ones did get the stamp.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is the feed ramp without finish?

Trigger is wrong, as probably are the grips. The ring around the grip screw does not look like a hollowback grip. Of course the MSH and barrel are incorrect, which was already known. No Ordnance stamp is OK on an early WB. Some later ones did get the stamp
I took photos of the feedramp. It appears to be smooth, but I dont think it has been buffed or polished. The grips are hollow back with cross bracing for support.

With all this being said what is the gun actually worth? I have heard guys tell me the book value, but based on these pics what do I have here?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Looks to me like it has been polished.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Looks to me like it has been polished.
Is that a bad thing? I didnt see any scuff marks around the ramp, so I figured it was natural from bullet feeding.

Here are some more pics of the grips/frame. When I got the gun, the owner had put a piece of sandpaper along the front strap held on with the grips. I immediately removed the sand paper.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
I think you have a decent gun. Grips are as I said, later Keyes with the reinforcements. They should be one big scalloped out area in the back and no star or K marking. Prices are a crap shoot these days so I will defer to a more brave member. Definitely worth more that the average shooter. Enjoy it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After visiting coolgunsite, I found that these are RR grips and the trigger is from a 1944-45 RR. How does this change the value? Wonder why someone would replace these parts?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am taking this gun to Wayne Novak when he comes back from the Shot Show and see what he has to say about the pistol once he lays his hands on it.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
I agree that the finish looks original, just a lot of aging in it. Don't forget about the mainspring housing which isn't correct either.
Please let us know what Wayne Novak had to say.

·
Administrator
73,766 Posts
It may not be perfect, but you could easily have done worse. The finish appears original to my eyes, and the only issues are the oxidation of the finish and the incorrect small parts. It's still a very nice pistol.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all your comments and replies, I really appreciate your help. I will see what Novak has to say and let you all know.

Would it pay me to replace the grips, barrel, MS housing or trigger with period correct for this gun to increase the value, or leave it as is?

I have never shot this gun, would it hurt to take it out and shoot it, or is that not recommended. I would love to run a few clips through it and see what it can do. The gun feels so tight and solid, it reminds me of a custon 1911.

Thanks again everyone

·
Registered
31 Posts
Colt 1911A1

I bought a Colt WWII mfg. 1911A1 from the widow of a WWII U.S. Army vet, along with the original issue holster, webbelt, and mag pouch. When I got it home, I dropped the firing pin slide plate, and discovered that the slide is a new thousand numbers off the frame Serial #, probably a couple of months difference. I then remembered what I did when I was in the Navy. I was in a pre-commisioning crew for a new guided missile destroyer. We were on the ship one day before we were allowed to move onboard, and a request for assistance came from the Gunner's Mates asking for anyone with knowledge of 1911's to report to the focsile. I went up, and the ship had just got it's complement of 50 1911's, all packed in cosmoline. We took the pistols apart, and put all the components into a 5 gallon of solvent to dissolve the preservative, wiped them off, put a little oil on them, reassembled them, and locked them in the armory. I'm know for a fact that the slides were mated with different frames. I'm happy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts