1911Forum banner

1911pd 5" vs. 4.25

1637 7
I ordered a 1911pd in the 4.25 inch and my local gunstore ordered the wrong size and got in a 5 inch, They are in the process of ordering me the 4.25 and while waiting I was wondering if I should just take the 5 inch, anyone have both? any comparison between the two. I have 8 1911's fullsize and commanders but none with a lightweight frame. I prefer a commander size but I was wondering if with the LTW. frame I should go with a 5 inch.
Thanks
T
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
191 Posts
I have both. I haven't gotten them to the range yet, however. I've been told there is very little difference between the two when firing them. I've heard they both handle recoil very well for the light size, and they are both very dependable.
I won't be getting mine to the range until next weekend.

· Registered
2,412 Posts
Have both. Have considerable rounds through both. They're good runners.

Both were hand picked for their barrel and slide to frame fits. Both are accurate. Both have run without problems. Both had to go back to S&W - the 4" had a hammer that cracked after about 600 rounds and the 5" needed a taller front sight and the grip safety was inop. Both were returned in about 10 days.

The 4" cycles a little faster, like any commander. Other than that, its just a matter of personal preference.

Anything else you want to know?

· Registered
24 Posts
Have a 4.25 inch with about 1000 rounds through. Lots of flip with the lighter frame. Even more than my Kimber ultra 3". But I still like it. Runs really well...only one ftf since new.

· Registered
58 Posts
Check em out

freediver said:
I ordered a 1911pd in the 4.25 inch and my local gunstore ordered the wrong size and got in a 5 inch, They are in the process of ordering me the 4.25 and while waiting I was wondering if I should just take the 5 inch, anyone have both? any comparison between the two. I have 8 1911's fullsize and commanders but none with a lightweight frame. I prefer a commander size but I was wondering if with the LTW. frame I should go with a 5 inch.
Thanks
T
The 1911sc is the if 5" , like you couldn't tell. I got the stainless about a month ago and was using it as my carry, not bad on comfort, but I bought the PD Fri. and carried it all weekend and I'm very please with it.

· Registered
118 Posts
I have the 5" PD and I absolutely love it. The recoil seems no worse than a regular government model, while still being 10 oz. lighter, which is huge when I carry it for duty.

If you're thinking of concealing it, then the 4.25" would be the more obvious choice, otherwise, you will be VERY pleased with the 5".

· Registered
191 Posts
I got both my 5" and 4.25" PDs to the range today. The 5" is an absolute wonder to shoot, but the 4.25 is almost as good.
I did not find the 4.25 had as much muzzle flip as my 3" Kimber. I only found the flip on the 4.25" marginally more than the 5".

Both fed everything just fine also.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.