1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever combine the two or have thoughts about Crimson Trace grips in general? Ive never seen or ised them, but I've had the idea floating my head to put some on my Combat Commander XSE.

·
Registered
80 Posts
When I bought my Ultra Crimson Carry II, it came with the laser grips (green). Very visible night or day. They have the ability to be adjusted for windage and elevation. Only use I can see for them is a quick grab, point and shoot situation with no time to align sights on target. If you carry you can leave the switch on and the laser doesn't activate until you grip the pistol which minimizes use of the battery.....very good for the scenario above.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I put them on my Commander. I can't say that at the range they help score any better over sights. I sometimes practice using just the laser and not the sights. In a stress situation I can possibly see an advantage.
The only downside is that you are stuck with the manufacturer's choice of grip pattern which isn't the best.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Dont like them. I dont like where the laser emits from. If you keep your finger off the trigger until you fire it blocks the laser. If you need them for point shooting i would suggest just doing more point shooting without a laser so you don't require an electronic crutch that may not work when you need it most.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My nightstand and carry guns wear Crimson Trace grips. Should my face and prescription eyeglasses become unexpectedly separated, I anticipate I'll appreciate having them.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
My thoughts on laser grips more specifically the laser itself. It it faster to see your sights than to find a dot on your target. Generally you will know where your sights are! A projected dot depending upon the characteristics of the surface it lands on could be difficult to discern.

Sure it would be a great intimidation device but how often are you going to point a gun at someone when you can only intimidate and not shoot? Generally not such a good idea.

If I need to present a gun at save my life speed the last thing I want to do is look for the dot in someone's busy flannel shirt or other light trap fabric. But you say, "hey I have sights too". Well then use them. But if you train yourself to look for the dot to be on target what do you think you will do under stress? Do you have the time to play hide and seek?

Batteries and electronic devices will always be less reliable than my iron sights.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have them on my LCP and just installed a set on my RO Champion. As mentioned earlier, if my face and glasses become detached from one another, this is another option. Also, if necessary and I'm unable to get a sight picture, at least I have the laser to put me in the ballpark if necessary.

·
Registered
23,180 Posts
A couple shooting buddies have them on 1911s and they are interesting but I don't like them enough to buy a pair. Another guy has a SIG, not 1911 that had the LASER in where the guide rod is and I liked that better. Maybe when I get older I might go for one of those.

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies. The claims and information on the CT site are pretty compelling but I'm wary of becoming overly dependent on the laser instead of the iron sights, as some mentioned. And I don't like the notion that when you're finger is off the trigger, it's blocking the laser. But considering my main objectives are home defense and self defense, part of me thinks that if a bad guy ends up charging at my wife and I through a doorway at my house, the laser is only going to help...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Reason #75

Dont like them. I dont like where the laser emits from. If you keep your finger off the trigger until you fire it blocks the laser. If you need them for point shooting i would suggest just doing more point shooting without a laser so you don't require an electronic crutch that may not work when you need it most.
Thank you, you just gave me another reason why I spend so much time on this site. My eyes aren't what they used to be and for the last year I've been self debating why and what can help. I just decided on a CT for at least my house gun and carry gun. Your comment concerning blocking the laser with my safety finger has changed my mind. I guess I'll keep looking and researching maybe a light laser surefire under the barrel.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I put lasers on all my carry and home defense guns. It's just another potential advantage in my opinion. I'm of the same opinion as some who have said that lasers shouldn't be relied upon as the primary sighting means. They can fail, and they are only 100% accurate to the point they were dialed in at.

That said, I don't agree with the hooey that you can sight with your irons faster than you can find a laser. All my lasers are dialed in for the most likely defense encounter of 15 feet or less. At my age (54), if you can get a good bead on iron sights before finding your laser dot... you have the eyesight of frickin' Superman.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I put them on my wife's M66 357. I find that when I shoot it I tend to forego iron sights altogether as the laser is easier and quicker to acquire on target. Not sure if it develops bad habits, a lot of times I don't even pull the gun up to my eyes and never even actually look at the gun just at the target. Pointing a gun is relatively instinctual, at defensive ranges you'll be pretty close as soon as the gun comes up, the laser is right 'there'. No need to develop a sight picture. It's interesting to notice how much movement there is and how quickly you can re engage the target with the laser.

I don't shoot her gun a whole lot and don't have any desire to put a CT on my own guns. As I mentioned at defensive ranges (10-20ft) instinctive shooting is good enough. at much farther distances I find that using iron sights works better than trying to 'find' the laser downrange.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had them on two of my guns and after about 10 rounds they start to fade and you can't see the beam as bright. your finger and the end of the slide stop that goes through the frame will block the beam some as well. Over priced and the quality really isn't there.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I had them on two of my guns and after about 10 rounds they start to fade and you can't see the beam as bright. your finger and the end of the slide stop that goes through the frame will block the beam some as well. Over priced and the quality really isn't there.
Bull$#!t flag thrown! I've been shooting lasers on MANY MANY guns for years. NEVER had your problem. You must be buying crap.

·
Registered
347 Posts
The one on my wife's gun still has the same battery as when new 4 years ago and is as bright as ever, never fades. Sometimes a finger gets in the way for someone not familiar with them but once you know it's there it's never an issue. I don't see how it could fade after shooting a few rounds seems rather odd to me. Maybe it's your eyes? Only fade I've ever seen is if it's bright outside, then it can be pretty hard to see at distance (more than a few yards).

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The one on my wife's gun still has the same battery as when new 4 years ago and is as bright as ever, never fades. Sometimes a finger gets in the way for someone not familiar with them but once you know it's there it's never an issue. I don't see how it could fade after shooting a few rounds seems rather odd to me. Maybe it's your eyes? Only fade I've ever seen is if it's bright outside, then it can be pretty hard to see at distance (more than a few yards).
What's the scoop on not blocking the laser with your finger? Is it as simple as not putting your off-the-trigger finger too high up?

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
I have a green CT laser on my Defender.
My finger does not block the laser. No part of my gun blocks the laser.

The laser is another "tool" in aiming my gun, just like the white sights and just like night sights.

I practice aiming with the sights, with the laser, and just with the slide.
In bright light the laser is harder to find but the white surround on the regular sights are easy to see and use.
In low light even tritium night sights are hard to find and align quickly but the laser is easy to see.
The laser is a tool, and in certain conditions it is the right tool to use if available.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Bull$#!t flag thrown! I've been shooting lasers on MANY MANY guns for years. NEVER has your problem. You must be buying crap.

Agree with four T5. Ive shot 200 rnds at a time with a Kimber Ultra with a grip CT laser (laser on rt grip panel). Laser never lost brightness or its zero.
Finger covering beam? If u raise your finger up towards the slidepin hole it will. Easily adjust your finger straight and its outta the way. Very quick target acquisition. In a SDefense scenario u will be more than likely shaking like a leaf. The laser will get your POA in the right area. One can occasionally "cowitness" their irons and beam.
So I like it overall. Accuracy at 7-10 yards has been better with the laser over the irons. I am not an expert shooter.
Ctrace also had a deal that they will provide batteries for life. Not sure if still going on.

However, the CT master grips I have are full thickness and the laser does stick out a bit increasing width in a small area. Most holster makers will accommodate for it. No big deal. They are expensive, but I've seen enough complaints about the cheaper lasers out there. Perhaps find a range with a rental with CT grips.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts