1911Forum banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
If at all feasible, I'd try just using different magazines. An old fashioned feed ramp might defeat the best of magazine designs ... but I've yet to encounter that for a .45ACP.

Taking my own advice for a .40S&W that's having difficulties feeding truncated-cone target ammunition*. Ammo selected to have a similar profile to JHPs ... but unfortunate in tending to bite the feed-ramp and, apparently be set-back by that impact. Deducing the set-back because ~10% of the FtF cartridges are difficult to chamber even by hand after; case-mouths slightly flared. So right now I'm going to order some CMC "Power Mag" examples to see if that fixes it.

*- the same pistol feeds 10mm perfectly ... but different barrel and recoil spring doing so.
Hello tgt-USA. I have a commander in 40S&W / 357 Sig. combo using two barrels. I had the 357 Sig in at my last range time. That Sig is like my 40 S&W it will chamber anything I have tried. In fact a 9MM round somehow got mixed in with the Sig ammo. It went right in the chamber and bang another bullseye. There was a lot less bang. I checked on the floor and there was that 9MM case it had grown in size but that old 1911 just handled it with ease. If you build them right they will do the job. PS. I need to pay more attention to what I stick in my magazine cause a 9 MM don’t look nothing like a 357 Sig.

·
Registered
8,583 Posts
For high pressure rounds like 9mm, .38 super, and .40 S&W, I like and use W/N ramped barrels, since they generally offer better case support up to the extractor groove. I always want the guns I build to feed JHP bullets, since my guns may be used for self defense. Even if I use them for target shooting, a JHP bullet has proven to offer superior accuracy. There are many "little things' when building a 1911 or STI 2011 pistol that may improve the feeding reliability. I usually test my gun builds at home using JHP dummy rounds in a fully loaded mag, then pull back the slide and release with each dummy round to see if it feeds properly. If the JHP dummy rounds do not feed, I will fix the gun until they do! All of my gun builds will feed properly with JHP bullet profiles.....

·
Registered
53 Posts
My .45s and 9MMs would bobble on the Hornady Critical Defense as well sometimes because the polymer tip was sticky. This was about 2-3 years ago, before I moved to HSTs. The fix for me was to use a sharp knife to cut off the tip of the polymer insert, making the bullet flat. This way, the copper jacket hit the feed ramp first instead of the polymer tip. That cured the problem 100%.
I wondered about this. I think the current range of polymer-tipped ammo Hornady is developing originated with them developing their Leverevolution cartridges for tubular magazine fed lever action rifles (Like my .45-70 guide gun) and they had a pointed tip. I think it was an attempt to improve ballistics without potentially setting off the bullet ahead of it in the magazine (what I heard or read, I don't know for sure).
Today, my Critical Defense ammo in my Defender magazine is flush cut with the top of the jacketed hollow point, like Borderboss1 did on his own. Another person responded finding three different tips for the pistol ammo. Could all just be "development" by the manufacturer.

You guys are a ton of information. Thanks for all the responses!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Back in the 1990's I spent a lot of time watching Ed Banks - one of the nation's top 1911 gunsmiths - work on 1911s. Ed was a friend and sadly passed away much too soon. In 1992 I had purchased a 1927 Argentine pistol made in the early 1950's. The 1927 was made in Argentina on Colt machinery under Colt supervision initially. They are as well made as anything that has come out of Hartford.

Ed replaced the worn disconnector and gave it a new phosphate finish. That pistol will feed anything; HP, SWC... it gobbles them up. I discussed this with Ed and he pointed out that the Argentines did something that Colt did not at the time; they throated the chamber mouth when they manufactured the 1927. In my experience it makes a difference.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Some 1911s just won’t chamber hollow points reliably. Why is this? Brand doesn’t seem to matter. Does the chamber need polishing?
Sig Sauer mags will feed Hollow points supposedly, other then that I have always had to ramp my 1911;s to accept hollow points?

·
Premium Member
14,007 Posts
I can't comment on what to expect from a ww1 or ww2 era 1911, but what ticks me off is some of the major semi/custom and even custom 1911s of the day cop out on this...They may stipulate they only feed a small range of hollow points. If the gun is properly tuned, especially at this price point they should feed any "in spec" HP ammo of the caliber.

Reactions: borderboss1
41 - 50 of 50 Posts