1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Perhaps the wrong forum but I have been carrying a 1911 in a kydex holster for about three weeks now and have come to the personal conclusion that it is just wrong. Glocks, SIGs, Berettas are fine in kydex, but my 1911s just feel better and more comfortable in leather. Feel free to tell me I am full of it but I am curious how many of y'all have come to this conclusion too.

·
Administrator
18,583 Posts
AndABeer,

Gonna move this to the Accessories Forum...

Leather is the way to go for most all your needs except possibly open "uniformed" type carry or special ops type tactical carry. I realize thats my opinion, but you asked!

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
I agree 100% with you beer man.I think 1911`s belong in leather. Not just leather but good leather.

------------------
Have fun & Shoot Strait

·
Registered
82 Posts
"Yup, I have to agree also. Nuthin I likes better then my guns in leather and my women too".

------------------
"ad maiorem Dei gloriam"

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Kydex and polymer are the only way to fly. I have my share of Sparks, Kramer, Wilson, Alessi, they are all nice; but after using Blade-Tech for the last 5 years and Fobus for year or so I am convinced there is nothing better.

Modern polymer are fast, secure, lightweight, resistant to the elements, are not dirt traps(yes leather retains debry). What more can one ask?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have to vote for Ky-Tac. I've used leather for years and years and after trying my first Ky-Tac I knew that my quest for the BEST holster(for my 1911s, of course)was over. Still love the feel and smell of fine quality leather, BUT after using Ky-Tac gear for almost 5 years I will not return to Leather. I have 6 different Ky-Tac holsters--love them all. As most of us who have tried finding that "perfect" holster usually wind up with a box full of holsters that never seemed to work out just rightover the long haul. Not so with Ky-tac. Still using it and always will. I even use it with my Limited gun(STI long dust cover) and my Limited 10 gun shooting USPSA matches. My CCW rigs are all Ky-Tac also. Alvin

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
This sort of reminds me of an old country and western song, went like this, "Dont give me no plastic saddle, let me feel that leather when I ride". Same for my holsters, belts and boots.

------------------
No man is above the law and no man is below it. Nor do we ask any mans permission when we require him to obey it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm with Ken. There is absolutely nothing like a beautifully cut, dyed, stitched and polished piece of leatherwork, other than the piece of the gunsmith's art that is in it. That and the feel and smell of leather will tell you someone cared about that holster. IMHO you can't see PRIDE in a plastic holster.

------------------
"The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind."
Humphrey Bogart

·
Registered
135 Posts
I agree that there is nothing nicer than the smell and the feel of really nice leather. I have had quite a few of different brands including top makers. I on the other hand have had the opportunity to use a kydex from Sidearmor lately and have been real impressed by the fit finish and functionality of "good" kydex. Both are great and have their place but you shouldn't discount the quality and useful function of Kydex.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I admit to having been influenced by MadDog and so I own a lot of GunGlove holsters. I like kydex for competition. It is FAST.

But I do own some leather. Nice leather from Lou and Tony both. I had gotten lazy recently and been carrying my full size Mexican in and out of errr... places I go... yeah that it. (I could never carry at work... that would be against the rules.)
But last weekend I got a VERSA MAX II from Allan. I had forgotten how nice that rig could feel. I forget it is on.

So... even though I will catch grief for it... Leather is what I carry everyday... and kydex is for the games.

------------------
Bubba
www.dbl-tap.com

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,006 Posts
Leather, all the way. I'd put my Glock in plastic, iffin I had a Glock.

·
Registered
8,648 Posts
Originally posted by Bubba:
I like kydex for competition. It is FAST.
Leather is what I carry everyday... and kydex is for the games.
Amen, though out west, we just use composition gear in games so's we can keep the blowin' dust out of the fine leather. Bye the way, Bubba, you boss just called...they've been watching you!

------------------
Make It Hot!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Originally posted by RockinRoll:
"Yup, I have to agree also. Nuthin I likes better then my guns in leather and my women too".

Good lord. . . what woman do you put your gun in? Oh wait, I know which gun!

I agree that leather is the way to go. I have fiddled with Kydex, even have a Kydex holster for on ASAI onePRO from Blade-Tech... I dunno, I thought that was the most overrated piece of plastic I have ever purchased.

Derek

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
Something about the sound of a pistol being drawn from a leather holster that is different from "plastic". I have not tried any of the new Kydex stuff, I did have an original Snic holster and one of Rogers' breakfronts (Rogers as in Wilson - Rogers magazines) for a while. Look at it this way, as long as there are critters, we can have leather. Oil needed for making plastic can run out. LOL Besides that what are we going to do with all those beef wrappers that McDonalds throws away?

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
Molon Labe

[This message has been edited by Jim V (edited 02-22-2001).]

·
Super Moderator
3,114 Posts
I would contend that 1911's belong in well-designed holsters. The material from which the holster is made is of less concern.

I have and appreciate both leather and kydex/concealex holsters. I'll admit that there is more artistry evident in a well-made leather holster, but the better kydex holsters are quite nice too. Given that we have polymer-framed pistols, fiberglass rifle stocks, nylon web gear, and so forth, I know fewer and fewer "blue steel/walnut/leather" purists with each passing month.

To paraphrase; Let he who is without synthetics cast the first stone.

Rosco

·
Registered
298 Posts
Originally posted by Rosco Benson:
<snip>To paraphrase; Let he who is without synthetics cast the first stone.
Rosco</snip>
Um...do micarta stocks count?
Jeez, I need to find some nice wood stocks...but I digress... I prefer leather, although to be strictly honest I've never tried a Kydex holster. They've had no "draw" for me..

------------------
Mike
[email protected]
----------------------
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor
determined to commit crimes ... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and
better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for
an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
--Thomas Jefferson, quoting Cesare Beccaria in On Crimes and Punishment (1764).

·
Registered
731 Posts
1911s belong in leather, no doubt about it. There is nothing more beautiful than a 1911 peeking out of a well made leather rig.

Now my Glocks--SIDEARMOR is the only way to go.

Billy Ray

1 - 20 of 41 Posts