1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on another forum and the topic was carrying JHP vs FMJ in a 1911. There were still a number of people that proclaim that "1911s don't function well with JHPs. You should carry FMJs for reliability."

My BS meter started going to 100%. Yeah, that may have been the case a long time ago before JHPs were so prevalent. But it seems like this position just doesn't pass the smell test anymore with modern manufacturing. Maybe the $400 third world guns still have the problem, but if U.S. manufacturers are still producing 1911s that can't handle JHPs, that seems like a manufacturer problem, not a design problem.

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
694 Posts
The reliability of various bullet types in the 1911 is very dependent upon the 1911 being used. If properly set up, a 1911 will feed almost anything. A polished feed ramp and throated chamber help greatly. My 1927 Argentine has been amazingly reliable with everything. The only way anyone can know is by testing the bullet design in their 1911. To make a blanket statement that a 1911 will or won't is not accurate or realistic.

WRT military use of expanding bullets, that is forbidden by the 1899 Hague Conventions, not the Geneva Conventions. Furthermore, the United States has never signed the section that forbids the use of expanding bullets and is thus not restricted in their use. However, the US has so far abided by the restriction in spite of not being obligated to follow it.

·
Premium Member
Prefer Commanders
3,017 Posts
All 5 of mine have fed any JHPs with total reliability since new. These are all rack grade 1911s made since the century change to 2000. I would not have them if they didn't feed JHPs reliably

·
Registered
821 Posts
The 1911 is my favorite handgun, but I don’t CCW them so have always used FMJ ammunition without fail. Recently I tried a small box of name brand HPs, and the gun choked within 20 rounds. I do have several boxes of the Win1911 HP ammunition I may try out of curiosity. Like I said, it’s not a concern for me whether or not HPs are an issue with 1911s, since I don’t use them for personal protection.

·
Premium Member
7,557 Posts
The only rounds my 1911s would not reliably feed, that includes FMJ, HP, Plated, SWC (button bullets), 200gr SWC, were the cast RN bullets I shaved lead with while seating. All the rest feed like my hungry B-I-L, that is anything put in front of it!

Grumpy

·
Registered
818 Posts
My 1911's feed HP ammo reliably, as it should be.
FMJ is for target practice, or emergency after all the HP is gone, zombie apocalypse.
45 acp is not exempt from my 2nd sentence.

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
I have yet to have 230gr JHP's jam, fail to feed, or fail to fire in my 1911's.
This is true also with 147gr JHP's in my 1911 9mm.

I think this is like a lot of other things.

Many times, those who claim something, have no practical experience or knowledge to base their assumptions on.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I reload and use non expanding hollow points for target. I also test factory hollow points every now and then. I use 9mm 124 grain Federal hst for carry and my reloads are xtreme 124 grain non expanding heads. I seat the head the same as factory so the feed the same.

·
Registered
211 Posts
The reliability of various bullet types in the 1911 is very dependent upon the 1911 being used. If properly set up, a 1911 will feed almost anything. A polished feed ramp and throated chamber help greatly. To make a blanket statement that a 1911 will or won't is not accurate or realistic.

WRT military use of expanding bullets, that is forbidden by the 1899 Hague Conventions, not the Geneva Conventions. Furthermore, the United States has never signed the section that forbids the use of expanding bullets and is thus not restricted in their use. However, the US has so far abided by the restriction in spite of not being obligated to follow it.
The United States Army issues a number of small arms "Open Tip Munitions," specifically 7.62mm M852 Match (Sierra 168-grain Matchkings) and M118 Long Range (175 SMKs); Mark 148 Mod 0 and Mod 1 .300 Winchester Magnum (190 and 220 grain Matchkings); MK 262 5.56 Long Range (77 grain Matchkings); and M1152 9mm for the M17 and M18 pistols. The Coast Guard issued .40 caliber for their SIG P229s. US Army Special Operations Command had .45 ACP and 40 S&W JHP cartridges.

1 - 20 of 126 Posts