1911Forum banner
81 - 100 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
My first 1911 was a RIA GI model. Never had an issue with HPs of any type. As I upgraded to both the 2011 and 1911 ladder over the years, I have always run some of the 10-8 tests on them before they could make the duty rotation. I haven't had any issues, even with a 1944 made Remington GI gun. Not that I carry that one, but it was interesting to note. Mostly running Speer and Federal.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Well, my meter pegged on reading the Forum summary when I saw this title of this thread. All my 1911s feed everything given them. I reload and occassionally I find a bullet that doesn't feed reliable. First, step is to ensure ramp & chamber is clean. My pistols don't get cleaned just because I fire a round through them. They are clean when needed. If the the ramp and chamber are good, I check mags to ensure no overlooked issue there. If good, then it is COL is the problem. I adjust as necessary for feeding. I also chrono my loads to ensure I don't do something dumb. And, if loading shorter than reloading manual suggests, I always reduce the load and work up. Knock on wood that has worked for 20+ years.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I was on another forum and the topic was carrying JHP vs FMJ in a 1911. There were still a number of people that proclaim that "1911s don't function well with JHPs. You should carry FMJs for reliability."

My BS meter started going to 100%. Yeah, that may have been the case a long time ago before JHPs were so prevalent. But it seems like this position just doesn't pass the smell test anymore with modern manufacturing. Maybe the $400 third world guns still have the problem, but if U.S. manufacturers are still producing 1911s that can't handle JHPs, that seems like a manufacturer problem, not a design problem.

Your thoughts?
JHP's will feed reliably on 1911 Para-Clark ramped barrels, sometimes with slight angle changes and polishing the ramp. Maybe I'm a little "flip" in saying that, as I'm a retired machinist and can cut frames to take a ramped barrel if I feel like it. On regular mil-spec If you maintain the gap relationship between the barrel chamber lip and the full frame ramp shelf (1/32"), but slightly augment the angle including a high polish, you'll get a great feed. JHP rounds do not have longevity with aluminum frames unless you buy steel inserts, however, this leaves behind the average gunners ability or desire. I guess I'm saying with very little in the way of "work", I've just never had a feed problem on a good 1911 using JHP ammo (several JHP configurations, cone angle, size of the hollow part, etc., etc., exist), so find the one that suits your weapon. Quite frankly, with proficiency using a .45 acp, any round you're using will stop a threat if you don't panic rapid fire your weapon empty with a lot of misses.

·
Registered
806 Posts
i think that early on the first types of hollow point bullets were a problem with many 1911s. Such as the big hole flying ashtray hollow point bullets. But technology advances and that became a non issue today. way back then everyone had only round nose lead bullets or round nose jacketed bullets and the 1911's were designed to shoot those ok. if you wanted to shoot some other kind of bullet shape, you had to modify your 1911 to do so. But today most all of those modifications are already done to the 1911 pistols. So it is a non issue today unless you got a pure military spec grade 1911 that was made to the specs way back then.
Browning designed 1911 as a military weapon to function with 230fmj. Todays 1911s are not you grandpa’s Thumb Buster.

·
Premium Member
3,245 Posts
"1911s don't function well with JHP rounds"

Says anyone who has never been trained on a 1911, fired one much, or has any idea what they are talking about.

Reactions: Che

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was on another forum and the topic was carrying JHP vs FMJ in a 1911. There were still a number of people that proclaim that "1911s don't function well with JHPs. You should carry FMJs for reliability."

My BS meter started going to 100%. Yeah, that may have been the case a long time ago before JHPs were so prevalent. But it seems like this position just doesn't pass the smell test anymore with modern manufacturing. Maybe the $400 third world guns still have the problem, but if U.S. manufacturers are still producing 1911s that can't handle JHPs, that seems like a manufacturer problem, not a design problem.

Your thoughts?
I was a reformed 1911 addict - going on 13 years 1911 free - until my hunting buddy had me try a Ruger SR 1911. We were sighting in lever guns at 150yds, and I put 5rds in a nice group low of aiming black. I have only owned 38 of the 1911 and worked on 125 others since the mid 1970's. Back then WWII 'battle rattle' were in every gun shop and pawn shop for under $100. I destroyed more than I want to admit to learning to tune them up. Allot of the older affordable 1911's are damn finnicky due to poor tolerances between frame and feed ramp - especially the battle rattles. Also, keep in mind 1911's are like a warm toilet seat - you get that nice warmth feeling but always wonder who was there before you.... you never know who dinked with your 1911 before you unless it was factory fresh. Those made in the last 20 years - I would be surprised to hear of a feed issue. I have an older Kimber Grand Raptor that accepts everything! I used it in the local centerfire bullseye league - 90+ rounds every Wednesday night from January to March firing semi-wad cutter target loads - not a single jam. The Kimber factory recoil spring worked fine from HP to SWC, target loads to Federal Critical Defense loads. Damn thing shoots like magic. When a friend has a sick 1911 that Kimber makes an awesome great example to diagnose from.

For people with a finicky 1911 I recommend visiting MidwayUSA and buy a Wolff spring set. Color code the springs with a paint pen first - then try them with various ammo your 1911 hates. I see they currently have a higher power and lower power 5 spring sets for $25. (Used to have all ten for $49 or so) If you love 1911's get both. Once you discover the correct spring - do not use the one from the kit - go pony up a few bucks and get one for the pistol in question.

·
Registered
173 Posts

Your thoughts?
The only 1911's that I have seen being "ammo sensitive" have been top dollar US custom or semi-custom guns.

A proper 1911 will rattle like a maraca but will feed just about anything and will "go bang" reliably every time.

I suppose it might be possible to cobble together something resembling a 1911 so badly that it wouldn't work, but I've never seen one fail from being too loose. Most problems seem to arise with brand new tightly fitted 1911 guns that haven't been thoroughly broken in yet. Over the years I have seen several brand new 1911s from well known makers that couldn't get through the first magazine, even with FMJ "ball" ammo. Meanwhile my Essex mixmaster will happily eat anything I choose to feed, including the infamous flying ashtrays.

I'd love to be able to afford one of those fancy custom or semi-custom 1911s - but I damn well wouldn't count on any of them as a carry gun until it had about a case of ammo through it at the range.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've been BUILDING, and buying 1911's for around four decades. Also reload every weight and bullet nose profile you can buy. This old addage that a 1911 won't feed certain bullets is a joke. Maybe if you're shooting your granddad's old 1911 that he carried on Guadalcanal you may have an issue. I've taken many OLD ones down to my workbench and fixed feeding issues with my trusty Dremel tool in 30 minutes! Open up and pollish the barrel feed ramp a little, and make sure that it's about 1/32nd of an inch ahead of the receiver ramp. Ejection and stovepiping can also be fixed rather easily on an old 1911. If you have a very old piece that you want to keep in museum condition you may have a problem or two I'll admit. BUT a decent gunsmith can fix any OLD one for you if you want.

·
Registered
13 Posts
All my 1911's will shoot JHP or FNJ ammo but it doesn't matter to me, I use flat nose ammo for everything.
Bone crushing results and I don't waste my money on the overpriced hollow point ammo.
Yeah, I've heard all the stories about over penetration, but I know what flat point ammo does to animals so I'm sure it will stop a two-legged bad guy just fine.
My situation exactly. I have a '71 lightweight Commander (beautiful piece) and a '17 Colt Government model. I know what they prefer so that's what I feed them. We've never had a disagreement.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I don't post much but I get what's trending on 1911 via emails and this thread caught my eye.

I have two weapons that I EDC regularly. Both 45s
Colt LW Commander
Ruger P97DC...both in High Noon pancakes and a Sparks SS for IWB carry for the Commander. I don't carry the 97 IWB.

I envy those who claim "my 1911 cycles everything I feed her", etc. and to refer to 230 grain ball as "crappy" seems a little naive.

Neither of my carry pistols was to my liking out of the box and the problems for both were magazine related. The 97 ran perfectly with the 7 round mags with polymer followers but the 8 rounders with the Devel type followers caused the last round in the mag to flip straight up out of the pistol before locking the slide back. I cured the problem by installing Tripp FLX followers...not a hiccup of any kind since.

The Colt is utterly reliable with the tapered lip GI type followers but can be finicky with some other types.

I have reloaded 45ACP but prefer factory loads and nothing but 230G Ball. I can practice a lot for half the cost of HP ammo and therefore shoot these pistols a lot more. Of course I could buy a box of HPs just for defense but I don't see any reason to complicate matters.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would recommend test firing any round you plan on carrying. A while back I had some Remington 230 gr Golden Saber HP ammunition that wouldn't fit any of my magazines past 3-rounds, both factory and Wilson Combat mags, the same ammo in 185 gr worked fine. The other day shooting some Winchester White Box, 230 gr FMJ at the range had many failure to fires on the first strike of the hammer in my full-size Kimber 1911, all other target ammo fired fine.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Apparently Alvin York killed 5 Germans led by an officer in a bayonet charge on his position, all with a 1911 pistol. obviously loaded with ball ammo... It is said that he shot them as he would shoot ducks at home; the last one in line first and the leading officer last...D Mastriano did a search of the York battle site, I believe, in the Argonne Forest, and found 23 spent 45 casings as well as many '06 03 cases. York subsequently took 132 Germans prisoner and shot one of them who threw a grenade that woundied some Germans but leaving him unscathed

·
Registered
14 Posts

Your thoughts?
On the last 1911 barrel i had installed years ago from Briley, I specified that the pistol function perfectly with three bullet types: a standard 230 grain hardball, a 200 grain H&G 68 SWC i started using 40 years ago for IPSC, and a 185 grain JHP. I still carry some nickel cased Georgia Arms 185 grain +P ammo and wanted to make sure there were no hang ups, literally. Briley made sure the barrel was correctly throated to handle those bullet types and support the case.

The only thing they also did that was a bit irritating in that regard, and someone here may be more informed about it, is they used a wire wheel to burn off the super tough and slick Robar Roguard finish on the feed ramp, insisting it needed to be bare metal, which I called BS on. That stuff was slick as hell, and bullet noses skated up it and into the barrel. But their smith said it was the only way he would fit the barrel. I know that’s SOP, but it was Roguard, not some junky rattle can paint. But, it’s done, no one can see the ugly damage he did on the inside of the frame, Robar is out of business (I don’t know about Briley) and the pistol handles everything I feed it.

I think most modern pistols have no problem with a variety of bullet types. Back in the late ‘70’s when I was buying Colt Series 70’s, most factory barrels needed some throating for reliability, and throating and ejection port lowering and contouring were part of that process.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
Cold Gold Cup National Match barrels were throated for reliable feeding of the 185 and 200gr SWC bullets, and this also worked well for most hollow points. Why didn't they do it on Gov't Model and Commander barrels?

·
Premium Member
Every firearm I own, I built myself.
2,108 Posts

Your thoughts?
Curious how many of those that claim unreliability are using the cheapest 1911 they could get and never clean it.

Reactions: AgedWarrior

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am truely amazed at the ignorance expressed on the web. And the believers.

As I have said before, my son in law calls mine Sargent York pistols and doesn't think much of them. Calls them jam o matics and useless. LOL

He has said that I probably spend most of my range time trying to get one to work.
Jam o matics ?? Americas battle pistol for a hundred years, not to mention the other countries that used them. Not sure the 1911 would have been so widely used if it were such poorly functioning pistol as your son in law states.

81 - 100 of 126 Posts