1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just to prove to myself the robustness of the basic 1911 design, I took my Springfield Loaded (w/o FLGR) and a Norinco out to the range today. Both are Gvt sized. Took about 30magazines of different makes (GI surplus, MecGar, Triple K, unknown brands, and weird copies with "Colt 45 GVT" stamps at teh base). 500 rds later, without cleaning of any sort, neither 1911 jammed, nor failed to feed. COmbat accuracy was around the 5-8 inch groups at 75 feet shooting wihtout support. Used Blazer and S&B. I tell you, I do not care what people say magic add-ons and gimmicks can do for you, but just plain steady shooting and aiming from an all steel Gvt 45 is about as good as it gets for a handgun. Furthermore, it shows a Brazilian/US gun is just as reliable as a Chinese ComBlock copy because John Browning's design was THAT good. I am fully confident with this platform.:D

·
Registered
778 Posts
Cool!

I wish I had the cash to go buy a WWII SA Mil-Spec, and just feed it until it quit (no cleaning, etc..) just to see how far it would go.:cool:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Re: Cool!

DEDON45 said:
I wish I had the cash to go buy a WWII SA Mil-Spec, and just feed it until it quit (no cleaning, etc..) just to see how far it would go.:cool:
A forum member is doing that.

Overall - 2400
2302 lead
98 jacketed

·
Registered
27,691 Posts
Gunz said:
Just to prove to myself the robustness of the basic 1911 design, I took my Springfield Loaded (w/o FLGR) and a Norinco out to the range today. Both are Gvt sized. Took about 30magazines of different makes (GI surplus, MecGar, Triple K, unknown brands, and weird copies with "Colt 45 GVT" stamps at teh base). 500 rds later, without cleaning of any sort, neither 1911 jammed, nor failed to feed. COmbat accuracy was around the 5-8 inch groups at 75 feet shooting wihtout support. Used Blazer and S&B. I tell you, I do not care what people say magic add-ons and gimmicks can do for you, but just plain steady shooting and aiming from an all steel Gvt 45 is about as good as it gets for a handgun. Furthermore, it shows a Brazilian/US gun is just as reliable as a Chinese ComBlock copy because John Browning's design was THAT good. I am fully confident with this platform.:D
I have fired at least 8000 rounds of hardball equivalent reloads this summer. As anyone who knows me can attest, I don't clean either of my two pistols very often. Often as not, at the end of a range session, I will wipe off what I can reach, put a little oil on the rails and bushing. Maybe a field strip and clean every 2K. I used Wilson and GI mags. Except for a couple of bad reloads (high primers), I haven't had any failures this year. That is with a customized Norinco and a Series I Kimber, with all the goodies on them.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Wow, two 1911A1 variants (not original JMB design) that worked well in a very limited one time test and the whole platform, regardless of maker has been deemed as 'flawless." Gunz, do you sell cars?

:p

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Gunz said:
I am fully confident with this platform.
That's like saying I am fully confident with cars.

You are assuming all manufacturers make the same pistol, built to the same tolerances, with the same quality parts and components - which they do NOT. You also assume no variance even within the same manufacturer from pistol to pistol.

·
Registered
267 Posts
You can try to talk Gunz out of his enthusiam all you want, and though it may be somewhat irrational, this is the kind of magical confidence that the 1911 inspires.

·
Registered
38 Posts
marvl said:
"Cleaning.......what is this Cleaning you speak of?"

"ya gotta clean 'em?.......oops"

One of life's little pleasures is sitting at the bench with a pile of 1911 parts and a cup of good coffee, a little Beethoven on the radio, the smell of Hoppes in the air, the feel of CLP soaked rags in the hand... Ah, heaven on earth.

:D
lol....true, I get the same feeling while working at my reloading bench :D

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Texian said:
You can try to talk Gunz out of his enthusiam all you want, and though it may be somewhat irrational, this is the kind of magical confidence that the 1911 inspires.
I wasn't trying to talk him out of his enthusiasm!!! I think it's great that he has a couple irons that shoot well.

The point I was trying to make is that his generalization indicates that all 1911's are created equal - and they most definitely are not.

·
Registered
688 Posts
The point I was trying to make is that his generalization indicates that all 1911's are created equal - and they most definitely are not.
Naysayers who have problems with a certain 1911 because they're sloppy reloaders, buy poor quality mags, can't shoot, read about a 1911 failure on the internet or actually get a bad piece think all 1911s are created equal - and they most definitely are not.

Eddie

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Eddie makes a good point. A pistol is no better or worse than the sum of all the parts - pistol, mags, ammo, shooter. Poor quality on any one of the preceding factors can be a recipe for discontent.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Gunz...I hear ya! Us die hard 1911A1 fans can not be discouraged! :p I think the 1911A1 is the best also!:D Not to mention it's the only gun that really fits my hand like a glove.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've seen dozens of animals run off

.And yet ANOTHER offering of wit and wisdom by the Doofus Formerly Known as Tincan!!

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,529 Posts
The performance of 230gr ammo in the .45 ACP has been proven, over the last 90+ years, to the extent that I would, and do, carry it with confidence. I'll take two big holes over the chance that the target might be "shocked" by a lighter, faster-moving slug. I think if you were chest-hit with a single round of 230gr hardball, you'd think its performance anything but irrelevant!

·
Registered
28 Posts
what it's been is LIED-about, a lot

And yet ANOTHER offering of wit and wisdom by the Doofus Formerly Known as Tincan!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts