1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't seen the film in a while but from what I can recall I'd swear those 1911's benicio del toro and ryan philipie had were colt series 70 guns. I say this based on the stainless hammer and trigger also the grips looked to be colt medalion grips and the finish was very colt looking. So am I right are they series 70 colts of something else? Thanks.

·
Registered
836 Posts
My guess would be 70's as well, grips with Gold medallions were also cue. Although some of the early series 80 guns had them as Castle pointed out. I have the movie, perhaps I will take a closer look...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Liked the movie, lots of 1911 action, but disliked the lack of fire discipline with the Galil. He could have "cleaned house" if he had had better control and actually only shot at a target instead of walls.
Ken

·
Registered
836 Posts
Ken, I agree they could have cleaned up. However we've got to admit, as hollywood goes, thats the best protrial of skilled gun handling, tactical movement, muzzle and trigger finger discipline, etc. I bought it just for this and action. It's a rough movie to watch though, definitely for the fellas.

MB

·
Banned
1,324 Posts
hey, my wife liked it as much as i did, but then she is a shooter too :)

·
Registered
698 Posts
Where did you buy the movie? I have seen it advertised on cable channels (HBO, Cinemax, etc.) but have never watched it. If it is a decent movie, I'll just buy it. Would Walmart have it? Is it a new release or what?

·
Banned
1,324 Posts
matteblack said:
I found it at Blockbuster Video. I think it was 9.99. The movie is a couple years old.
yep. I bought my DVD there too :)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Watched the movie a couple of times. I must be getting old. No matter how close I got to the screen, I couldnt read the rollmarks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The Director's Commentary talks about the guns briefly. I believe he said they were Colt's. I know he said they were actually 9mm's, even though they were supposed to be .45's in the movie, because 9mm's are easier to modify for blanks.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Only 2 mags for the Galil, but 7 or 8 for the Colt...and one empty double mag pouch when he drops at the end. Must have had them all stuffed in his pockets!

I thought it was funny the nice horizontal line of bullet holes the Galil made in the wall, as opposed to the huge upward arc it probably would have made! :D

·
Administrator
72,419 Posts
One way to tell if they are S70 or S80 guns is to take a close look at the ejection ports. Only the very earliest S80's had the tall, narrow ejection port opening. A year into manufacture all the S80's received lowered (but not flared) ports.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I think I heard someone say they were movie guns, not really built from former colts at all...but they looked like a combo of a late 70s/Gold Cups and I remember one shot that had a Commander hammer on one of them...I'd have to look again to be sure ...There was absolutely nothing "decent" about that movie...Two misfits stumbling into a kidnapping of a "family" business partner and his wife...along with all the dirt you'd imagine in the mexican desert...Maybe we should ask the bodyguard they staked out and used the come-along to straighten his spine if he was humiliated...If the pictures from the prison in Iraq looked and sounded like that movie, there wouldn't be any queston whether it was torture or "humiliation"...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts