1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in 1991 I bought a used Goldcup that had supposedly been "Accurized" by Wilson. I've been very happy with it. I've lost count of how many thousands of rounds I've put though it. I've replaced a worn grip safety and a couple springs but otherwise it's been reliable and has served my needs quite well. I have an SVI certificate, and was thinking about ordering a double stack limited gun, but several people have suggested I get one of their single stacks instead. I called and was very surprised to hear their single stacks start at $200 more than their double stack guns. I've been shooting IDPA and L-10 about a year now. My question is, what makes these SVI single stacks so different, that they can command three to four times the price of a new Springfield, S&W, Kimber, STI-Trojan, or Goldcup? :scratch:

·
Banned
2,925 Posts
If you could see how Sandy makes a SS frame compared to all others you would be surprized. Every frame starts out as a billet of steel. Their machinest
puts it into the CNC machine where it mills two frames halves and then flips it over to finish the other sides. There are NO forgings or castings. A solid block of barstock made to their order.
A double stack frame has much less steel and machine work because of the added on "plastic" frame. This is much like making a SS without the trigger guard and magwell/frame. Sandy holds his tolerances very tight and the hardness is also watched closely.
Others use a casting or forging that is shaped crudely like a frame and they machine away all that is NOT a gun. There IS a difference.

I shot a Gold Cup for years as a duty gun and changed out literally everything except the barrel, frame, and slide. It is much softer that the SVs.
My original SV has 122,300 rounds on it and the only thing original is the frame which Sandy says is as straight as new partly because I oil the gun allot.
Sandy's guns will last a long time...

·
Super Moderator
7,789 Posts
SV single stacks are really friggin nice. More than that, I have no clue.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Thanks for the info on the SVI single stacks.

I have my eye on a lightly used one, which has a bronze colored Schueman barrel.

I have a 5" SVI 45 ACP double stack, which shoots great, but I have wanted a SVI single stack for quite some time.

·
Banned
2,925 Posts
That bronze color is a coating they have put on them that allegedly akin to titanium nitride (nitrate?) and really helps reduce wear. Sandy has a new
coating working with a carbon steel barrel that is allegedly much better and is silver colored.

·
Registered
673 Posts
The gold is TiN (Titanium Nitride). The single stacks are great. Don't compare to Kimber or STI Trojan. Look Les Bauer or Wilson then think better. I don;t have that many round through my single stack, less than 30k. One of my limited double stacks has over 120k and only springs have been replaced. They keep on going.
ed

·
Banned
2,925 Posts
You might get 120,000 on the TiN barrel IF it doesn't break at the lugs or ??
My first SV .40 ('96) with Schuemann barrels (2) is at 122,300 but it's second Schuemann barrel is worn badly and has lost velocity. Neither was TiN and Wil says that's way past the barrel life expected for the IPSC style of shooting. That gun will get it's third barrel soon but I expect it will be another of Wil's 416 stainless bull barrels unless I can talk Sandy out of one the new ones.
I keep logs on all the guns I shoot and I have never had one go over 60,000 rounds on one barrel but the TiN might get there IF it doesn't break.
With the coating the rifling might last that long but without it they get pretty shallow. This last barrel will still shoot brass FMJs (Armscor or MG) but some
keyholing can be seen if you look close. I asked Virgil Tripp to hard chrome a Schuemann barrel (416 stainless) but haven't worked that out yet.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I stand corrected I thought for a while then realized that I replaced the barrel at 70k rounds. It was more of I want a gain twist barrel than the old one was preforming badly. But none of the parts on this gun have broken other than springs. The grip is showing wear but has not yet become unusable.
ed

·
Banned
2,925 Posts
I like the gain twist so far but I can't tell that much of difference except to note the AET doesn't like plated bullets. I don't shoot electrically plated copper bullets but the "Precision Bullets" coated bullets seem to work OK.
I shot that first gun with a cracked grip for quite awhile and my newest (I bought it used) has a crack in the same place above the mag release on the right side. I guess this is just cosmetic as it has caused any function problems.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I have not used plated or lead bullets in years. I just switched from Montana Gold to Precision Delta and they both seem to work very well.
The old barrel went on to be in someone else's gun. I sold it for $5. and I was happy and so was he. It still seems to work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts