1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Clawson shows a HP barrel for Colt 1918 S/N: in the 564XX range. I purchased one recently with the Springfield S and P barrel. I noticed that the Springfield barrel appears on a lot of the 1918 colts. Is it just common for these to get switched out? All the other markings are correct (according to clawson's) even has the heart shaped frame. But can anyone give some insight to the barrel question.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
Springfield made barrels in 1918 model 1911 pistol

The barrels made by Springfield were usually used as replacement parts, and at least until WWII, when a barrel was replaced because of wear or damage, it would probably be replaced with a Springfield. When WWII started, the Springfield barrel line was turned over to the Flannery Bolt Company who made barrels that were also largely used as replacements. However some Flannery "F" marked barrels were apparently used in both Ithaca and Ramington Rand pistols during portions of 1944 and 1945. Check out www.coolgunsite.com and click on the ID pages. Best Karl

·
Administrator
73,395 Posts
Obviously the value would be higher with the correct, original barrel. However the barrel is still a USGI unit and what would be commonly encountered in a pistol such as yours, thus the value is still higher than had it been a barrel that was clearly incorrect (i.e. a commercial unit). The early .45ACP ammunition was mildly corrosive and thus really hard on barrels, so a lot of WW1-era .45s are found with replacements.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks DSK, I was at a local gunshop and he had in there on consignment. There a very slight evidence of rust on the front of the slide and most of the bluing is gone. But besides the barrel everything appears to be original. It does have the heart shape under the grips. I paid 650.00 for it. Since I don't see a lot of the USGI's in my area I thought that I would take the chance.

·
Administrator
73,395 Posts
If there is no bad pitting or broken parts then the price was alright.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts