1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally, after an extended stay at Nighthawk Customs, my Colt Government Model manufactured in 1919, is home.

Two years ago, when I first turned 21, this 1919 Colt Gov't was among one of the very first handguns I ever purchased. By the time I got a hold of it, 102 years of service had exchanged out parts from this gun and seen it hard chromed. I thought the gun was handsome, but longed for.. more.

For my college graduation last year, I saved up some money and sent that Colt off to Nighthawk Customs in the fall of 2020. I was inspired by the "Colt Classic" Series from Nighthawk, but I didn't want to have a gun that everyone else had. Bob Reeves, over Nighthawk's Custom Shop, and I spoke on the phone constantly for three weeks going back and forth on design and parts before deciding on the package that you see today.

The pistol is basically a "resto mod", retaining much of the original features from Colt, yet internally being completely rebuilt and tuned. Even the frame and slide was refit. The invoice for the gun goes on for multiple pages, but the one detail that I absolutely love is my last name engraved on the front strap. My family has traditionally never been "into" guns, so this will be the first of many "heirloom pistols" to pass through the generations.

A huge thank you goes out to Nighthawk Customs, but more specifically, Bob Reeves and Steven Cox for making my dream pistol a reality! The pistol is touched off with a set of giraffe bone grips hand made by Hillbilly Grips.

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
Elegant, classical, beautiful and tasteful.
NH were the artists and you were the ‘producer’ of this piece of functional art - enjoy it.
A job well done by all.

·
Premium Member
16,209 Posts
There's nothing like a gun that you have put some of 'yourself' into and that is a beautiful example. There is some question of how much you should shoot it because of the non-hardened slide - they have been known to crack.

·
Premium Member
5,481 Posts
Fantastic Colt. Classic looks, form, and I'm sure function. I congratulate you on not going overboard on the looks. Minimally perfect! Love your choice of grips, where they come from and what material are they made from?

Grumpy

Reactions: 1776_duck

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fantastic Colt. Classic looks, form, and I'm sure function. I congratulate you on not going overboard on the looks. Minimally perfect! Love your choice of grips, where they come from and what material are they made from?

Grumpy
The grips are from Hillbilly Grips, they are Giraffe Bone!

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
The grips are from Hillbilly Grips, they are Giraffe Bone!
==============
I wonder where they got the giraffe from? LOL
Beautiful custom job. I wouldn't shoot it too much though.
Might be a soft slide. Did the nighthawk guys mention anything about that?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
==============
I wonder where they got the giraffe from? LOL
Beautiful custom job. I wouldn't shoot it too much though.
Might be a soft slide. Did the nighthawk guys mention anything about that?
We talked about it, and with a new recoil spring it shouldn't be an issue. Moreover, Bob from NHC informed me that nitride permeates the metal, making it slightly harder/stronger. We had talked about attempting to harden the slide but Bob talked me out of it. This gun will be getting shot.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There's nothing like a gun that you have put some of 'yourself' into and that is a beautiful example. There is some question of how much you should shoot it because of the non-hardened slide - they have been known to crack.
We talked about it, and with a new recoil spring it shouldn't be an issue. Moreover, Bob from NHC informed me that nitride permeates the metal, making it slightly harder/stronger. We had talked about attempting to harden the slide but Bob talked me out of it. This gun will be getting shot.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts