1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This 1922 Government Model incorporates post WWI commercial pistol changes, most of which were ultimately adopted by the military M1911A1 "Transitional" models in 1924 starting at S/N 700000.

To the best of my knowledge, the pistol looks all original to me.. but, I'm would appreciate additional input.

Thanks,

Ray

·
Registered
932 Posts
Nice original commercial, the new slide stop and serial numberd slide are right in the time line serial range of when the changes started.
The barrel has the large K as found on the 1924 transition military pistols, but has a polished top chamber. That tells me colt was using that K stamp before 1924.
Great variation 1911 to have

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think the new-style slide stop was adopted well before the military adopted it.
Piexcel- Looks like the slide stop changed once in 1919 and then again around serial # C128000 in 1920 to the same style adopted by the Ordnance Department in 1924 for the military pistols.

Most of the changes implemented in the commercial pistols between 1920 and 1924 were adopted by the military for the 1924 transition model.... Clawson's GM book states that there were 40 revisions made to serial number range C112000 to C138532 and that collectors will encounter more variations in this range than any other.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice original commercial, the new slide stop and serial numberd slide are right in the time line serial range of when the changes started.
The barrel has the large K as found on the 1924 transition military pistols, but has a polished top chamber. That tells me colt was using that K stamp before 1924.
Thanks Rich... Yeah, I thought this was a neat one too.

I researched the "K" on the barrel along with the "P" and found that these markings began around 1920 and as you stated, the "K" was incorporated on the Transition pistols. I also found an "F" on the inside of the frame where barrel link travels. Not sure if this is anything interesting but it's there.

·
Registered
759 Posts
The pistol looks a very nice all original pistol, I see nothing out of place. One of the first numbered slide guns too. Here's a picture of one of mine that is pretty close. This one shipped Jan of 1921. Slide is unnumbered . If you are willing to detail strip the gun, I'd be interested to know if it has the same inspection stamps as mine. I see yours has the O on top of the receiver that mine has. Check out the odd stamps on my hammer and MSH .

[/URL]

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
That tells me colt was using that K stamp before 1924.
Amen brother. It seems the K mark is not exclusive to the 1924 transitional model.

Although many believe in order for the barrel to be correct for the '24, it must be "K" marked. I'm not so sure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts