1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a couple of "Pre-war Colt .45's" at a local shop with the old Colt markings on the left and "Policia Federal" or something to that effect on the right side of the slide. They look like your typical wartime production .45, and the shop's asking $400 for them.

I asked if these were Sistema (sp?) Colts, and the guy said that they were US produced, sent to Argentina or some such country, and re-acquired by Colt after years. Then, they sat in the warehouse here at Colt and have just recently been put up for sale.

Sounds like a Sistema to me, but I don't know what to look for. Does anyone have any ideas?

Check Six.

·
Administrator
74,631 Posts
Nope, they are actually 1933-vintage Colts produced as part of a contract for pistols for the Argentine Federal Police. I own one myself which was purchased from JLD Enterprises. Mine came "arsenal refinished", which I later polished out and had reblued. You can see a picture of it on my Website or just click on the link below.
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1/1930Colt.jpg

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI 1911 pistols website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DSK:

Am I wrong in passing up these guns? I know the Sistemas are about $299 and I am looking for a US produced 1911 pistol, I just don't know alot about these models and I'm in a bit of a self-imposed conundrum (see my Israeli BHP post in Browning Hi Power) regarding my next purchase.

If only it were a Singer that a retired fellow was selling private sale for $500, then it would be worth it without a doubt!

Check Six

·
Administrator
74,631 Posts
Well, I certainly like mine. It satisfies my taste for a 1930's Colt without spending $1500+ for a minty example (don't have to worry about shooting it too). I did have to replace a couple of minor parts in mine, but aside from that it has been excellent.

------------------
D. Kamm

·
Banned
5,943 Posts
The Argentine guns from JLD are really sharp. The fit on these guns is remarkable and really show what type of quality Colt had in the 30's.

One thing to always check on an Argentine 1911A1 is the rollmark on the right side of the slide. If it says "SIST.COLT CAL.11.25mm MOD. 1927", it's Argentine production. If it says "Colt Cal. 45 MOD.1927" on the slide, it's Colt U.S. production.

Regards,
Sam

[This message has been edited by SamColtFan (edited 07-18-2001).]

·
Administrator
74,631 Posts
Mine just says "COLT Automatic Calibre .45" on the right side, with "Policia Federal" and the Argentine crest stamped next to it.

------------------
D. Kamm

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ditto on the "Policia Federal" business, it did seem to be a remarkably tight gun for a combat pistol, not to mention having seen some service.

Thanks, on the off chance I get one I'll keep you posted.

Check Six

ps: Is $399 reasonable?

·
Administrator
74,631 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the responses, although I'm expecting to get my Beretta first, you never can tell what I'll walk out of the shop with!

Check Six.

·
Administrator
74,631 Posts
My vote would be to hold off on the Beretta and get the Colt. They won't be available forever, and given the recent resurgence in GI-spec 1911s I'd say the value will go up in a few years.

Besides, for $400 for 1930's quality, and ALL milled and checkered tool-steel parts you really can't go wrong. It's certainly a lot closer to being like a real GI Colt than that $1,000 re-pop knockoff being made currently!

------------------
D. Kamm

·
Registered
27 Posts
Originally posted by Adventurer_96:
ps: Is $399 reasonable?
Where did you find one for 400 bucks? The two places I have been to that have these want 500 for them.

Are they really worth 50 bucks more than a Charles Daley thats brand new, unused, and has a lifetime warrenty?

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Originally posted by ArmdLbrl:
Are they really worth 50 bucks more than a Charles Daley thats brand new, unused, and has a lifetime warrenty?
The way I figure "worth" is if I can afford it, and I want it, and the price is not out of line compared to other vendors, then it's worth it. This applies to guns, cars, dogs, whatever.

·
Banned
5,943 Posts

Go with the 1930's Colt. You won't be unhappy with your purchase. The fit and quailty of those guns are from a time that will never be reproduced again, unless at tremendous expense.

A Charles Daley and a 1930's Colt is like comparing apples to plastic fruit. They look somewhat the same, but, there is a vast amount of difference.

Regards,
SamColtFan

·
Registered
27 Posts
Are they ammo sensitive? At the time they were built I imagine that FMJ was all their was. Given their age, I imagen that they would work well with USGI magazines. Right?

·
Administrator
74,631 Posts
Are they ammo sensitive? At the time they were built I imagine that FMJ was all their was. Given their age, I imagen that they would work well with USGI magazines. Right?
The 1927 Colts are mil-spec, meaning they will work with FMJ and most JHP that use a rounded, FMJ-like ogive. They probably won't work with older JHP using a truncated cone ogive or very wide HP mouth.

Between one and a Charles Daly, remember that the 1927's have been kicking around for several decades so if you get one expect to have to replace a few parts before you even take it to the range. At the very least a fresh set of springs is in order, plus small parts like the front sight, plunger tube, etc. might be damaged or loose.

Trust me though, once you have one all freshened up and ready to roll a M1927 will beat the pants off a newer 1911 for the fun factor any day!

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here's the place in Phoenix that has two, at least as of two weeks ago:

Lone Wolf Trading Co.
(623) 939-0668

Of the two they had, both were the same price but one had more legible rollmarks than the other.

I ended up with a Browning Hi Power. Go figure!

Check Six.

·
Banned
5,943 Posts
Originally posted by Adventurer_96:
Here's the place in Phoenix that has two, at least as of two weeks ago:

Lone Wolf Trading Co.
(623) 939-0668

Of the two they had, both were the same price but one had more legible rollmarks than the other.

I ended up with a Browning Hi Power. Go figure!

Check Six.
Been there. They started out with about 9 of those wonderful 1930 Colts. Most all of them had a difference (thin) in their roll marks. But, they were very nice guns for $499, all things considered. If you're looking for Glocks, they've got a great selection too.
Regards,
SamColtFan

·
Registered
27 Posts
Those were the same ones I have seen. How did you talk them down from 499 to 399? $499 is almost as much as a Springfield USGI new.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Oh, they cut their prices, I guess I wasnt the only one who thought they were a little overpriced. I havent been there since I completed my AR, so...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts