1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, I finally got to take some pics of my granddad's pistol. This first one was taken before I cleaned it - sorry if it looks a bit filthy. I'd love to share more pics of some of the details if anybody's curious.

Actually, I'd like to see if anybody has some insights on some of the markings I've found at various locations on the pistol. Let me know if you'd like to see more. :)

·
Administrator
73,831 Posts
Yes, we'd like to see more pictures. It appears the rear sight has been replaced, and somebody dinged up the slide trying to drift it back in. Otherwise it looks like a really nice pistol. Even with the rear sight issue its value is bound to be in the multiple thousands.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
The grips are wrong, 1930's NM pistols had full checked walnut grips, not double diamonds. The sight might be correct, the early NM pistols had fixed rectangular rear sights. I think the OP's pistol would have fixed rear as shown due to the adjustable sights having a ramp type front sight and his is a half moon or what Clawson calls a wide oval profile front sight.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your replies, guys. I'm very excited to share (ie show off) the pistol with you. My father allowed me to gently clean it over the holiday, and I made sure to record the "event". Regarding the markings, I was curious if you guys would recognize maker's marks made by (Colt) smiths during the build process - I was just trying to get a better understanding of the pistol's history.

I'll post the pics in the next few minutes.

By the way, would this be a good place to share a picture of a captured Gestapo "spy pen" pistol? It's really neat and I thought you guys might enjoy seeing it, since it's WW2-related. Let me know on this...

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's a mark...

Let me know if you guys know anything about this. I have no idea of "how deep the knowledge pool" is on this stuff, so no big deal if these are simply unknown stamps...

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Regarding the markings, I was curious if you guys would recognize maker's marks made by (Colt) smiths during the build process - I was just trying to get a better understanding of the pistol's history
Might be able to. Pics are good. That would most likely be an assembler's mark.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
A better view of the slide damage...

You're correct regarding the sight replacement. I have a letter from my granddad to Colt when he bought the new rear sight (1938). I can only assume that he had somebody in his military unit perform the swap. Obviously whoever did it wasn't very careful...

EDIT: Here's the "balance due" letter from Colt to my granddad's C.O. for the sight:

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One side of the trigger guard...

Here's a pair of marks on the guard. As you can see, one of the people at Colt had a nifty stamp - I think it has a stylized "JP" (or something) within a triangle...

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
The sight is correct for that pistol, it didn't come with an adjustable rear with that front sight. No, that's the standard Colt Verified Proof stamp (VP in triangle) found on most Colts. It's been tested and passed inspection. The letter above is an inspector's or final assembler's mark. What's the serial number, how about the barrel?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Front strap detail...

Here's a better picture of the wear on the front strap (is that the correct term?). The pistol was my grandfather's sidearm from 1938 to his retirement in 1954. Considering what it went through, I guess the pistol has survived pretty well.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
The MB in circle means it is a National Match barrel. One last thing, check under the firing pin stop to see if the slide and frame serial numbers match. It's a nice example of a rather early NM pistol.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm sure you're right about the grips, although they may have come from the factory like that. We're getting a Colt letter to confirm. If the grips were swapped out, it was probably in the late thirties.

Unfortunately, the grips pictured here have soaked up loads of oil over the years and have rotted out around the screw holes. I'm pretty sure the grips could be pried off even when "screwed down" - not that I would try!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Pitted bore?

This is the one I'm sweating about. Can you guys tell from this pic if this bore is in good shape? I have others pictures if needed...

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
One more and I'll leave you alone...

I final pic showing the magazine. Thanks for your help so far. Please let me know if you'd like to see any other views.

Do Colt collectors know the names of the guys that made the proof marks, like the "BA" or "W" on this pistol?

Hope you enjoy seeing the pics as much as I enjoy sharing them. :)

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Colt NM

The barrel doesn't look that bad in the photo, and regardless of the condition the pistol is worth more with that barrel than a new aftermarket barrel. Pretty sure the grips have been changed out, and Colt letters normally just have "Not Listed" on the grips.
The pistol was probably shipped late in 1932 or early in 1933.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for your input as well, Johnny.

My experience is limited with antiques like these, so I wouldn't know what constitutes a bady-pitted barrel. I agree - I wouldn't trash this barrel for all the tea in China. :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts