1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Heres from original thread:

Hi all,

My grandfather recently passed (RIP to the toughest old Marine ever), and I inherited a 1941 colt national match 1911. It has that weird safety thats rare, and all the serial numbers match (receiver, upper, and barrel). It was completely original since purchased in 1941, and was carried by my grandfather in Korea. He was USMC.

I was showing my neighbor a few guns that I got from my grandfather. He picked up one of the guns that was loaded, and without checking it pulled the trigger like an idiot. Being that he was a police officer for 3 years, I really didnt think he was that stupid. Any ways, the bullet went through my finger and hit the above mentioned colt in he receiver.

I took the gun to a local gunsmith to have it repaired. He did a so/so job on the repair, and im completely heartbroken. It looks like he rattle canned the receiver black after fixing it. So now the upper doesnt match the receiver.

So my question is, can this be repaired and restored? One of the admins mentioned it might not take a refinishing due to the weld the gunsmith did. Does anyone have advice to what my next step should be? I would like the gun returned s much as possible to its state before being shot. Ill post pics. The one with the gunshot damage is the only "before" pic I have. The rest are after it was repaired (for $300, grrr)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
he said he would pay for half, But since this happened 2 weeks ago, his wife filed for divorce, and put a restraining order on him, and he was arrested for violating it. I dont even think its worth the $150 to bring it up.

And yes, im pretty sure its a spray on finish and then he baked it. Not quite sure though. I just know it looks crappy and just breaks my heart everytime I look at it.

Im hoping someone here has some ideas to bring this back to its glory.

·
Banned
608 Posts
he said he would pay for half, But since this happened 2 weeks ago, his wife filed for divorce, and put a restraining order on him, and he was arrested for violating it. I dont even think its worth the $150 to bring it up.

Yeah, that sounds best...

·
Premium Member
7,039 Posts
How's your finger?

My left brain says the gun is now 'tainted' with memory of
an 'accident' that may well have been fatal.

And it's not even close to being a collectable.

Maybe just put it behind glass, as in a display case, showing the good side?

1 - 20 of 172 Posts