1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all! I inherited 2 colt national match pistols from my grandfather that just passed. One is C201XXX and the other is C204XXX. After a little research it looks like they were produced in 1941. The slide serial numbers match the recievers, But neither barrel has any type of colt or NM marking. They both have P on one side and HS on the other. It looks like they are High Standard barrels. Could these be original to the gun? Most of my research shows there would have been a colt barrel with NM somewhere on the barrel.

I was also told by my grandfather many years ago that one of the pistols was used to win a Marine Corps Shooting competition. m not sure which year. But I cant find records of the guns used in the competitions, only the names of the winners. Does anyone have any ideas how I could verify this story with the serial number?

And does anyone have any idea on the value of these guns? One is in amazing shape with slight discoloration on the first 1"-2" of the tip (maybe from a holster?) but otherwise looks almost brand new (Blued). The other is in good shape but definitely looks "used" compared to the other one.

Also, under the trigger guard, one has the diamond grip pattern, and the other is smooth. Any one know why the would be different?

Ill see if I can figure out how to get some pics up : )

Thank you for your help and knowledge in advance

·
Registered
646 Posts
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but a few items aren't correct on the pistol in the photos. The MSH should be arched and checkered.........not flat. The holes at the bottom of the MSH are for the lanyard loop. The barrel should be of Colt origin and not High Standard. I'll let others call the next shots........

·
Registered
21,859 Posts
A handsome pistol but more well taken care of than original NM.
The High Standard barrels are NOT Colt original. Factory barrels probably shot out or missed cleaning after chlorate primed ammo.
Micro sights are NOT Colt original, but very popular among target shooters of the 1950s.
Checkered flat mainspring housing is NOT Colt original, but a ready replacement if you prefer the shape. Likewise the trigger stop.
It looks awful shiny for a gun of that period, I suspect a good polish and reblue, maybe when it got is sights and new barrel.

·
Registered
759 Posts
It is documented in the Clawson book that the USMC purchased 15 NM pistols serial numbered 201076 to 201090 in April 1940. Does your other pistol fall into that serial range?
I would get Colt historical letters on both your pistols.
As mentioned the first has been altered quite a bit but it is still a NM and is still sort of collectible based on that alone.
Values of NM pistols generally fall in between $2500(shooter grade) and $20,000(new in box)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the responses.

My grandfather was a USMC tank commander, and yes, the other does fall into those serial numbers.

Its $100 for the history of a pistol from colt, have been debating on getting that info.

I havent been told much about the gun pictured, just that it was rare and may have won a USMC shooting competition. I also read that a lot of the competition shooters were altered, and barrels replaced more then once due to lots of practice. So I dont know. All of the parts inside the gun show very little wear, and I know for the 30-40 years my grandfather had it, it was never shot and well taken care of. Not sure if it was refinished or not.

Ill post pics of the other gun next week.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
O yeah, I also received a barrel in some type of sticky wax paper tape stuff. Its a brand new barrel with the same markings P on one side and HS on the other, but it is completely black. Its not chrome on the top like the other barrels. It doesnt have a single scratch on it. Are they common barrels? Is it worth anything?
IMG_1261.JPG

IMG_1262.JPG

·
Registered
646 Posts
The barrel you have is a "HS" / High Standard barrel. These were commonly used in Remington Rand, Union Switch & Signal, and Ithaca 1911a1's. If new in the wrapper it is worth around $200 +/- $50. Hope this helps...........

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you Plywood and others for your responses.

Is there a way to know if the gun was refinished? Any tell tale signs? If someone refinishes a gun is there a record of it? Like carfax but for guns? LOL

I dont plan on selling either of them, theyll be handed down if I ever have children. But it would be nice to know for insurance reasons and bragging, haha :0)

·
Registered
505 Posts
It is refinished. You can send it to Scott Gahimer if you want a professional letter telling you that it is reblued for about $150. Nice pistol!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts