1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up this 43 Colt yesterday. I have went through one of the collectors book and it is seeming like almost everything is correct for it. Barrel has the P on one side and a F on the bottom.

I am somewhat curious of its value to see how I did, but in no way will this one ever be for sale. Just looking to see if anything stands out as incorrect to anyone.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Administrator
73,097 Posts
The serial number actually places it as early 1944. It appears correct as it's in the period where the stamped trigger was adopted by Colt but the wide-spur hammer and checkered mainspring housings were still in use.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The serial number actually places it as early 1944. It appears correct as it's in the period where the stamped trigger was adopted by Colt but the wide-spur hammer and checkered mainspring housings were still in use.
Thank you, 1944 does seem correct now that I looked more.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Dsk is spot on about it being a 1944 pistol. The last 1943 pistol shipped by Colt was on 30December1943 and was serial numbered 1161194. Your pistol would have been shipped in February or March 1944.

·
Administrator
73,097 Posts
BTW I would place its value at around $2000 or so. It's important to point out however that prices for wartime Colts are all over the place. I've seen nicer guns sell for close to $1000 and worse guns sell for nearly twice as much.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
BTW I would place its value at around $2000 or so. It's important to point out however that prices for wartime Colts are all over the place. I've seen nicer guns sell for close to $1000 and worse guns sell for nearly twice as much.
Thats about what I was expecting. I am safe into it then.

Also the value is weird for sure on these. I watched some in decently poor shape sell for a lot more than I have into this.

·
Registered
373 Posts
$2500 up here if you can find one. DSK is correct, prices are all over. I watch most auctions for M1911 and A1 pistols. I'd like to get what some of these are bringing but all of mine aren't rare, unissued, never fired, cannot be upgraded, investment grade, museum quality , spent the war in a drawer 99% examples.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
$2500 up here if you can find one. DSK is correct, prices are all over. I watch most auctions for M1911 and A1 pistols. I'd like to get what some of these are bringing but all of mine aren't rare, unissued, never fired, cannot be upgraded, investment grade, museum quality , spent the war in a drawer 99% examples.
$2500 would be a lot for this, I think. Either way I’m well under what it’s worth. It seems like the reasonable condition ones that are somewhat used but not well worn like this are almost worth less than the well used examples from a couple auctions I’ve seen. It’s strange.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
It's a legitimate, out the door, no tax (9%) $2300-$2600 pistol in my neck of the woods. Much of what I see around here is junk. Mostly incorrect and/or refinished pistols.
Gun show pistols are stupidly priced. LGS prices aren't much better. Pawnshops have been my best source

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's a legitimate, out the door, no tax (9%) $2300-$2600 pistol in my neck of the woods. Much of what I see around here is junk. Mostly incorrect and/or refinished pistols.
Gun show pistols are stupidly priced. LGS prices aren't much better. Pawnshops have been my best source
Gun shows around me are insane as well. $3,000 is the starting price people are asking for any army Colt, mostly garbage.

·
Administrator
73,097 Posts
Did Colts use Flannery barrels? :confused:
You can clearly see "COLT 45 AUTO" on the barrel in the pictures so the F is apparently on the bottom.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Looks everything on your Colt is 100 percent correct. If you got it a good deal, Congratulation! It’s a very nice used WWII Colt! Take good care of her!

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
This is an easy $2000 gun in my neighborhood.
Here where I live a pistol like that would be closer to 3K Euro (about 3,300 $)

Congratulations on that great purchase.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts