1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1943 colt 1911A1 that was apparently converted to be used as a 9mm and the left side of the slide has a star on it. It also has british lend lease marks on it. What's going on here??????

·
Registered
426 Posts
It was exported to the Brits under the lend lease act during WW2, then obviously transferred to English controlled China during the Hong Kong occupation period where it was converted by anti-communist double agents of the Ministry of State Security (note the star on the slide) to a 9mm. Very rare and desirable.

That's my educated analysis of what you may have. Post some pics and we might be able to weigh in with some more reliable thoughts.

·
Administrator
74,040 Posts
Funny how we gave away so many 1911s, '03 Springfields and M1917 Enfields to other countries, only to have said countries hardly ever use them because of what to them were non-standard calibers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunetly, most of the bluing is gone and there are a few pitting issues. Gun is functional and the parts are solid. With that aside, what is the value range for a gun this rare?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
colt.jpg
[/ATTACH]
1943 colt british lend lease. Notice the star mark on left slide and double colt in circle on right. Summoning the colt gods about this one. let me know.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The barrel is sleeved with a 9mm luger. the serial number behind the firing pin matches the number on the frame. the ugly grips have been replaced with WWII plastic grips.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's all the pics I have right now. The gun is at a friends gun shop. I will post some more when I get it. Have you seen the star mark before? The gun shop owner told me that the gun is a Chinese knock off, but I believe it is too well made. The serial numbers match on firing pin stop and frame, all the factory proof marks are in the right place, "GHD" and the army ordinance stamp, all the british proof marks are there. He said it was fake and is suppose to say " not english made', mine says, "not english make". Which one is the proper mark? ...and why is the original 45 colt auto barrel now a 9mm barrel???

·
Registered
9 Posts
Alex, according to "The Standard Directory of Proof Marks" by Wirnsberger;

The "Not English make" markings were part of the proof system placed by the British proof houses on arms entering Britain that did not have proofs acceptable to the proof house and surplus British military/US lend lease to Britain leaving service and going into the trade. The particular mark was introduced with the proof laws of 1925 and discontinued with proof laws of 1954.

As you can see from above; you might want to take what the gun shop owner tells you with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
I wonder if it hung around Hong Kong or Shanghai for a bunch of years. The star on the left side looks Chinese. That is no knock off pistol.

·
Registered
416 Posts
It looks like the gun shop guy is not the one you should be listening to. That is no chinese "knock off"
If hes dead serious that its a fake, tell him I have a "real" 1911A1 that says Regent on the slide that was in the pacific theater that he can have for a resonable amount LOL!

Brian.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
That gun has been around and enhanced, like the double pony on the slide. Who knows who enhanced it, but it is a Colt M1911A1 with apparently matching slide, GHD marked, and apparently Lend Lease at one point. It was not made in China or Pakistan from scratch.

I have seen at least one US&S which was issued to the Shanghai Police after WW2. There were 1911s in China, there were British forces in China before and after WW2. This gun probably has a very interesting history. Condition is pretty bad though. What it is worth is a really tough question.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think the star mark is of Israeli origin "six pointed star / star of david". I think the horse's on the right side is a German proof mark "Hannover"????? Any help identifing these proof marks would be great!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
multi-pointed star - Kiel proof house
Prancing horse - Hannover
Why does this colt 1911 british lend lease have german proof marks?
Anyone have a clue about the designs or markings on this weapon?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts