1911Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
5,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a commercial Colt 1911A1 that was converted to military use with commercial markings on slide and commercial and military markings on frame. Serial # 863xxx. Has cutouts for Swartz safety. Blue Book says this is a rare one. Any idea where the original Swartz safety parts can be located? Value at 97%?
SamColtFan

[This message has been edited by SamColtFan (edited 06-02-2001).]

·
Administrator
74,658 Posts
Swartz safety parts are next to impossible to find. You shouldn't modify it anyway, as the value of your gun (if it's all original and correct) is at least $1,800. It is one of 6,575 pistols transferred from commercial stocks to the military in 1942. They yanked out the Swartz safety parts because they weren't mil-spec. You will also note how the commercial serial number was crudely peened over and the military markings stamped, then parkerized over that.

[This message has been edited by dsk (edited 06-02-2001).]

·
Banned
5,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dsk.....
Thanks for the info. You really know your 45's. Yes indeed the original serial number has been crudely removed. Boy, the old Colt commercial slide markings from the late 30's and early 40's are just too nice. Yes the gun appears to be in original condition. Very tight well made Colt 45.
Thanks again!
SamColtFan

[This message has been edited by SamColtFan (edited 06-03-2001).]

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Actually, the commercial to military conversions extended well into 1943. Most were 1943, with only the earliest ones being November-December 1942.
They are indeed neat guns. If you'd like some more info on them, or have specific questions, feel free ot email me. I can help you authenticate the gun.

·
Administrator
74,658 Posts
Welcome aboard, Scott!

For those who don't know him, Scott knows even more about USGI M1911's than myself and Ty combined, which is saying something.

He has more neat toys than us, too.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI 1911 pistols website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Flattery will get you everywhere. Thanks for mentioning the forum. Just thought I'd browse through and see what was happening. always nice to bump into new faces with the same interests.

·
Administrator
74,658 Posts
BTW Scott, I noticed the new Kimber FP safety is basically a copy of the old Colt Swartz system. I wonder if the parts are likely to interchange? Take a look at this picture and tell me what you think:

------------------
D. Kamm

[This message has been edited by dsk (edited 07-19-2001).]

·
Banned
5,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by dsk:
BTW Scott, I noticed the new Kimber FP safety is basically a copy of the old Colt Swartz system. I wonder if the parts are likely to interchange? Take a look at this picture and tell me what you think:
Hello dsk....
From the looks of the picture, and comparing it to to commercial/military Colt conversion, the parts would not be interchangeable as the cutout in the slide is rectangular on the Colt and not square as on the Kimber.
Regards,
Sam

·
Administrator
74,658 Posts
It's rectangular on the Kimber as well. It looks square in the photo because it's hard to see the beveled front edge of the FP plunger.

The FP block is installed through the top of the slide (underneath the rear sight) also.

------------------
D. Kamm

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Dana: The parts are certainly similar. However, it is impossible by a photo to tell is they would interchange. you would have ot compare the exact dimensions of the parts to Colt's before even attempting to interchange the two. I would be surprised if they would interchage without fitting, at best.
On the Colt system, the sear, hammer, extractor and firing pin lock are also unique to the design as I recall. Getting all the parts to work together from a Kimber and a Colt might be too much to expect.
I have never owned a series 80 Colt, but I understand their safety is similar also. i do not know if they are similar enought to do a comparison on. That's about 35 yrs. newer than I collect or have any knowledge about. Never owned a Kimber either. You've got to remember, I'm a little dated like my guns. The series 70 Colt's were the new thing out the last time I was buying commercial guns to any extent, with the exception of some Sig and Para Ord stuff for carry.

·
Administrator
74,658 Posts
Well, the reason why I am curious is because I hear people asking for Swartz saftey parts all the time. On the Kimber the extractor is conventional Series 70, but the grip safety has a thicker trigger stop pad. I thought maybe you owned a commercial Colt with the Swartz safety and had done some comparisons.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website

1 - 11 of 11 Posts