1911Forum banner

1943 Colt (sort of)

951 5
Threw caution (and some of my money) to the winds today. I put a 1943(I think) Colt on a layaway while visiting at a gunshop some 300 miles from home. The pistol in question (ser. no. 90673x) appears to be mostly Colt. It has at best only 70% parkerized finish, showing consistant wear patterns on all metal parts, but mostly on the front grip area. The frame and slide #s match and the metal parts appear to be Colt with the possible exception of the hammer ( I honestly can't remember if it had a wide spur or not). The barrel is of the correct markings for the time period (according to Clawson's), and the bore is excellent.The entire pistol is tight and passed the fuction tests without a hitch. The two big draw backs are the magazine (a Scoville) and the grips (Keyes small ring). The GHD inspection stamp shows some burnishing in the bottom of the letters. I can find no arsenal stamps on the pistol, so I'm assuming original parkerizing. I don't have the pistol in my possesion or I would post pics. He had $850 on it, but I got him down to $800. I wanted the pistol as an occaisional shooter and representative piece. Did I pay too much? I know where I can find a set of replacement grips but, if the hammer is wrong, will it be hard to find the right one?
Thanks,
TDW
P.S. thats the last time I travel without my Clawson's!!!:biglaugh:
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Scott,
I thought I was the only one up this early (I work nightshift Corrections)! I appreciate your input and offer of help. I may call the shop today and have him describe the hammer to me. Although after watching him reassemble the pistol:barf: , I am loath to have him even pick it up. I will probably be up that way in a month, and will pick it up then. I'll post pictures when I get her home. Is there any way I can pin the original delivery date a little closer? (no hits on SRS, by the way:( )
Thanks,
Tom

· Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Scott&Johnny
Thanks for the help! I'll have my teenage daughter show me how to use her digital camera when I do finally get the pistol.:) It seems like every time I have some spare cash for a camera, some old Colt comes home with me instead!
Thanks again
Tom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.