1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the 1943 vintage 1911A1 Colts hard to find? I have one, but I do not see many on this site. My serial number is 1099777.
Thanks,
Fred-napawino

·
Administrator
73,106 Posts
Most of us seem to have at least one, but they don't seem to get the attention on the forums that the rare guns do. It was a strong production year for Colt so there are a lot of them out there. I have a late '43 in excellent condition aside from a bunch of nicks and dings all over it. I've been trying to get another one but everything I've been finding either has been screwed with or is hideously overpriced.

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Nice Colt dsk!

·
Administrator
73,106 Posts
It's a good thing you didn't start the thread with that. You hit a home run!

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Wow Fred, what a beauty!

Not counting my Commercial/Military, I only have two '43s...

The lower one in the photo above, has this interesting Canadian property mark...

... and British Nitro Proof marked barrel..

On another site, I had a bunch of experts tell me with stodgy certainty that it's absolutely, positively NOT a Canadian Lend Lease pistol. Problem is, they can't tell me what it IS.

I like it... It IS interesting!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was born in November of 1943. I have a Colt 1911A1 from 1943, M1 Garand from 1943 and a 1903A3 with an 11-43 barrel date. I plan on passing these guns down someday. A collector friend also gave me a .50 BMG round with a 1943 head stamp. Thank you for all the help and the kind words.
Fred-napawino

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
I looked at 3 of them that have been for sale for a few months, on Consignment, in the same shop, I bought the best one the other day, the other 2 are still there.

Attachments

·
Administrator
73,106 Posts
Colt began hardening the slide stop notch around #880,000. The hardening isn't always obvious on a slide with original finish, but it often stands out like a sore thumb once refinished.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Colt began hardening the slide stop notch around #880,000. The hardening isn't always obvious on a slide with original finish, but it often stands out like a sore thumb once refinished.
Good to know, now I have to go back and look at the other 2 , I might have to buy a second one?

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
Most of us seem to have at least one, but they don't seem to get the attention on the forums that the rare guns do. It was a strong production year for Colt so there are a lot of them out there. I have a late '43 in excellent condition aside from a bunch of nicks and dings all over it. I've been trying to get another one but everything I've been finding either has been screwed with or is hideously overpriced.

You're right, I think perhaps they are not as yet perceived as real vintage guns like WWI 1911.
Anyway it's a beautiful and quite desirable gun!

colt45acp

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Not counting my Commercial/Military, I only have two '43s...
OOPS! Mistake! I found another one!

I was checking my photo files, looking at shots of Colt Ordnance Wheel acceptance marks and found a file for this pistol. So... I checked my safe, and there it was, hidden down in the bottom corner of the stack...

It's like Christmas in August! 'bout time for me to start hiding my own Easter eggs, too!

So, correction to the above statement: "Not counting my Commercial/Military, I only have three '43s...

·
Administrator
73,106 Posts
That's not fair, Joe. If you have so many '43s that you completely forgot you had that one how about giving it up to charity? I'm taking donations... :dope:

·
Administrator
73,106 Posts
You're right, I think perhaps they are not as yet perceived as real vintage guns like WWI 1911.
Actually, the 1943-production Colt is often perceived as the quintessential WW2-era M1911A1. It's copied in most graphic illustrations, video games, and even BB/Airsoft pistols. It's simply like a 1918-vintage Colt, a lot of them were made that year and so they are relatively easy to find (though not always reasonably priced) on the market. Most of the high-end collectors usually don't show them off much because they know most other collectors have at least one as well.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts