1911Forum banner

1943 U.S. Navy Smith & Wesson Victory .38 SPL (and I mean .38 SPL this time lol)

410 17
Stumbled across a nice, numbers matching, 1943 US Navy S&W Victory and I just couldn't help myself.

After the US Property marked S&W Victory in .38 S&W I should have stopped looking.....

But I didn't and came across this U.S. Navy one in .38 SPL that comes with a nice "correct" holster.

It will be at my FFL next week .... SMH

Here is a link to an interesting article on them from the AMERICAN RIFLEMAN magazine: An Official Journal Of The NRA | "V" Is For Victory: The Smith & Wesson Victory Model Revolver

Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory
Office equipment Gas Bumper Trigger Door
Trigger Vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Shotgun
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Love those old ones. A lady sold me her deceased husbands S&W M&P manufactured in 1915. Paid too much ( $300) for the old pistol ( a jillion of them were made); but could not resist it. It is about 90% perfect and looks like it was never fired.

·
Administrator
80,184 Posts
Be sure to get a letter from the Smith & Wesson archives which may tell you where your pistol was issued during WW2. I keep forgetting to letter mine, but it was likely a DSC gun and may have an interesting history of its own.

Reactions: Trepang

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Be sure to get a letter from the Smith & Wesson archives which may tell you where your pistol was issued during WW2. I keep forgetting to letter mine, but it was likely a DSC gun and may have an interesting history of its own.
Good idea - Thanks
I assume I can do that via their website?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I managed to find a copy on eBay of the December 2020 issue of the American Rifleman that has a great article on these Victory revolvers. I don't keep the old copies and in this case I wish I had.

I make up a folder of whatever documents I have or can find on each MilSurp I have in my collection and I really wanted this issue for the folder - That article is what got me interested in the Victory models in the first place.

Next, I will cough up the $100 for a S&W research letter.
Aircraft Poster Publication Shotgun Advertising

·
Registered
23,711 Posts
Seems unlikely. How is a factory letter going to show where it landed on the next bounce after the service armory or depot got it and issued it?

·
Administrator
80,184 Posts
I didn't mean to imply that the letter would indicate what serviceman it was issued to. However being a Navy gun there's a good chance it'll say which Navy installation it was shipped to and at what date, which is still pretty useful info.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I didn't mean to imply that the letter would indicate what serviceman it was issued to. However being a Navy gun there's a good chance it'll say which Navy installation it was shipped to and at what date, which is still pretty useful info.
No I understand ... Just what unit it went to would be worth the $$

·
Administrator
80,184 Posts
No I understand ... Just what unit it went to would be worth the $$
The trail will most likely end at whatever Navy base or arsenal received it. Like Oakland Naval Supply Depot or something along those lines.

·
Administrator
80,184 Posts
Anyway, here's mine. I bought it two years ago during the height of the COVID lockdown. Nothing better to cure the cabin fever blues than a new C&R eligible firearm being delivered to your door! :)

Since there are no US Property or Navy markings on it anywhere it's mostly likely a Defense Supply Corporation purchase. I need to letter it because many of these went to some pretty interesting destinations. One guy on the S&W forum lettered his and found out that it was shipped to Hershey's chocolate factory. Apparently even Willy Wonka was packin' during the war...
Revolver Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Wood

• Love

·
Premium Member
2,469 Posts
Nice find OP. Love the history of the old revolvers used to secure the companies who supported the war effort.

Interestingly during WWII Hershey's not only produced "D-Ration" bars for the Military, they also produced anti-aircraft gun parts.

And Willy Wonka was created by some British dude in 1964. Lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts