1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Found this a few weeks ago on an auction site, up for auction by a pawn shop who had taken this in on consignment.

·
Administrator
74,047 Posts
george05, I need to borrow your .45 magnet or magical talisman sometime. You keep finding all the good stuff.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
george05, I need to borrow your .45 magnet or magical talisman sometime. You keep finding all the good stuff.
Isn't that the truth.

Course I'd be eating Ramin Noodles and sleeping outdoors if I did................

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Beautiful pistol and one of the last with the early hammer. Also, it appears to be one of the first with Parko-Lubrite, although I can not be sure on the finish with pictures. Great gun. Thanks.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Beautiful Colt!

Vette, I thought the Parko-Lubrite slides started around 2240XXX...this one seems a bit early, plus I can't tell any difference in finish between slide and frame on this one at all...

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Beautiful Colt!

Vette, I thought the Parko-Lubrite slides started around 2240XXX...this one seems a bit early, plus I can't tell any difference in finish between slide and frame on this one at all...
Parko-Lubrite began much more early than 2.2 million. The frames were also Parko-Lubrite and such a frame could eliminate the need to polish the feedramp.

I would love to know if the OP's pistol is Parko-Lubrite for more info on exactly when they did begin.

Beautiful gun regardless.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I have a lubrite 1945 Colt and it is almost impossible to tell the difference externally compared to a phosphate gun besides the feed ramps. Perhaps when they were new it would be easier to tell them apart, but with age now the only way I can really tell the difference is by how they feel. Parko Lubrite feels just slightly more smooth to the touch but if comparing to an old phosphate that has worn down slightly, they could almost be exactly the same!

What reference is there for 1944's use of Lubrite and what serial range would they fall in? I have never seen or heard of one.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Thanks Vette...I stand corrected. According to Messrs Clawson and Gahimer, Colt started producing Parko-Lubrite finish in late 1944 around SN 1700XXX.

MO

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Nothing quite like a USGI cream puff in natural sunlight.

What a beaut!

Great photos.

·
Registered
738 Posts
WOW ! What a magnificent looking 44 USGI Colt 1911A1. All this pistol needs is the plain unmarked top Colt kraft shipping box with the 3 inch wide tape and the serial number hand written on the bottom with a blue grease pencil.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts