1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a chance to buy a '53 38 Super in about 85%-95% condition <$1000 (S# 111xxx). Doesn't appear to be any major problems, just handling marks and use. Plenty of blue left except on front edge of slide, as if it'd been holstered. Don't think it's a "great" deal, but it's appears unmodified and could probably be a sharp pistol if cleaned up a little.

However, the plastic grips on it are warped to heck. Frankly, I'd probably off them anyway and put on a set of nice stag grips, or something similar.

What would a pair of "replacements" run if I ever decided to track them down - are they prohibitive? @#%&#^#[email protected]%#[email protected]% bean counters!

·
Registered
23,227 Posts
A set that was actually made back then would be pricey, but on this or another forum members noted there is at least one grip company that makes a look alike out of modern plastic so they won't shrink or warp. Search, maybe on the accessory or grip areas of the forum.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,340 Posts
'39 Colts had fully-checkered walnut grips. Apparently, it's difficult to find modern reproductions that have the correct checkering pattern. I think grips of that era were checkered at 16 lines per inch, and "modern" grips - the last forty years? - are 18 lines per. You can do some searches here, mostly in the USGI forum, to find discussion of the proper Colt grips of the period. I had a set that I think were pre-WWII vintage, but I left them on a Springfield Mil-Spec when I sold it! :(
Edit: Silly me, I saw "39" and thought that was the year of manufacture. Yeah, the '50s brown plastic grips will shrink, and will do so whether they're on the gun, or not; remove them, and you may never get them back on again.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Brownells has "repros" but they are BLACK????Go figure. I have had very few complaints with Brownells stuff but these black repros are not the best quality. You may have to trim the screwhole underside to get them to fit flush.I have a 59 Commander that the grips have shrunk almost a half of screw hole. Too bad,as the pistol is absolutelty mint. I carefully removed the grips and saved them as the originals to go with the pistol if sold.Any really nice grips of your choice to put on the pistol for use will do wonders, just save the old grips with the pistol. Nick

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shrinking

Brownells has "repros" but they are BLACK????Go figure. I have had very few complaints with Brownells stuff but these black repros are not the best quality. You may have to trim the screwhole underside to get them to fit flush.I have a 59 Commander that the grips have shrunk almost a half of screw hole. Too bad,as the pistol is absolutelty mint. I carefully removed the grips and saved them as the originals to go with the pistol if sold.Any really nice grips of your choice to put on the pistol for use will do wonders, just save the old grips with the pistol. Nick
Yes....that's it. The grips on this gun have shrunk and warped. It looks like the grip screws are "stretching" them out (which in fact may be the case). Thanks all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts