1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 1954 Colt Government Model and have a question about the hammer. I'm used to the wide spur hammers of 1911A1s and grooved hammer spurs on later Government Models. This 1954 appears all original and is in 98%+ condition but has a checkered hammer spur. Is this the correct hammer for this period gun?
Thanks,
ADP3

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have a 1950 vintage Government that has a serrated hammer and also a 1947 Government that has a checkered hammer. Both are the flatsided hammers. The '47 is identical to the hammer on my 1945 M1911A1, except it is blued.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have a Colt 1955 Government Model with original parts.

The hammer is flat sided. The top of it where you put your thumb to cock it is checkered.

By the way, these pre-70 Government models in original and excellent condition sell for $1,200 to $1,500 at Collectors Firearms in Houston, Texas.

Don't modify yours or you will destroy much of this value.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the assistance gentlemen. I will shoot this beauty a bit but I'll drop in a few new parts first (nothing that will permanently alter the pistol).
Thanks again for your help.
ADP3 :)

·
Registered
414 Posts
I have a 1951 Government model that has a flat sided hammer with checkered top and nickeled (I guess) sides.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts