1911Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently received a 1955 Colt Super 38 from my Grandfather. It definitely has wear marks but is in decent shape.

I really don't know any thing about it. What would you estimate its value to be?

Serial number is 118241

Thanks

·
Administrator
75,199 Posts
We need to see pictures of this beast. The value of a clean original one in excellent shape is in the thousands. One in rough shape is in the hundreds.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We need to see pictures of this beast. The value of a clean original one in excellent shape is in the thousands. One in rough shape is in the hundreds.
Just added some photos. Sorry I think I hit the wrong reply when posting them.

·
Premium Member
1,995 Posts
1955 Government Models in 45 ACP are in short supply. Your Super 38 even more so. Colt only shipped 2247 of them in 1955. Presuming the internals and barrel are original and because there are so few of them, I think the pistol is easily worth in the neighborhood of $2000-$2200. Some might say more.
Personally, I'd disassemble it, soak it in Kroil or Ballistol for a few days, wipe it down, put it back together and set it aside in a safe place. It's a gift from your Grandfather. Hang onto it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1955 Government Models in 45 ACP are in short supply. Your Super 38 even more so. Colt only shipped 2247 of them in 1955. Presuming the internals and barrel are original and because there are so few of them, I think the pistol is easily worth in the neighborhood of $2000-$2200. Some might say more.
Personally, I'd disassemble it, soak it in Kroil or Ballistol for a few days, wipe it down, put it back together and set it aside in a safe place. It's a gift from your Grandfather. Hang onto it.
I appreciate the insight, yes I plan on hanging on to it for it’s sentimental value. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
OOOooo... that's an attractive "honest *****" lookin' gun. Thanks for posting it. Could you provide a shot of the right side of the pistol FritzFries?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OOOooo... that's an attractive "honest *" lookin' gun. Thanks for posting it. Could you provide a shot of the right side of the pistol FritzFries?
Updated, not sure why it didn’t get selected the first time. might have to go to imgur to see it.

·
Administrator
75,199 Posts
The small-ringed 1950s grips don't seem to be as prone to the shrinkage issue as later ones, and the OP's grips don't appear to be suffering from that malady anyway. They should be removed just long enough to clean and re-oil the pistol, then put back on. Don't leave them off for an extended length of time in case they DO start to shrink.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts