1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wood Grey Road surface Bumper Tints and shades

Hood Wood Bag Grey Eyewear

Wood Gas Electronic device Metal Audio equipment
So, I just regained access to my safe that was in storage for the past 10 years. Once I started going through all of my old rifles I remembered my old M6 that my dad bought for me in the 90’s, for 180 bucks, after begging him for months for a survival rifle. I didn’t know how sought after these are nowadays. But this was always my baby when I went camping or shooting birds in the woods behind the house.

Can anyone tell me more about this rifle? It has some pretty unique features such as no CZ markings, its says “Springfield armory with the date of 1974 etched into it”, it has a cross bar safety that can be selected with a button (no hammer turn safety), its in 22lr and 410, no trigger guard, and the retaining pin cannot easily be taken out like the CZ ones can. I kind of feel like I have a pretty rare and interesting sample id never sell but would love to know more about.

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks boys

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe it is a copy of an US Air Force survival gun
Thank you, it sure is. The only difference is the 18.5” barrel over a 14” one and its LR not 22 hornet. Im just curious to know if anyone has insights on some of the unique parts to it. Like it not saying CZ anywhere, and having it say 1974 by the Springfield logo, and using a locking bar button safety over the (seems to be more common) spin dial hammer safety. I’ve watched a ton of videos on it this week but I’ve never seen one with the features my firearm has. I’ve mostly seen CZ Springfield imports that stopped in their production about 15 years ago. Those ones are selling for like a thousand dollars these days yet they don’t seem near as, pardon my bias, but cool as this gun my dad got me.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I believe yours is the older example that was built for the civilian market but more closely matches the original Air Force rifle. Cz purchased and produced them later on, that is the type that I have and more commonly seen. I’ve only seen one other like yours for sale, so I’d assume it was produced less in comparison. That may make it more valuable but not necessarily as rare and valuable are not always synonymous. I would definitely be proud to own it and enjoy it! I like my CZ example and it’s the second one I’ve owned. Just know if you sell yours it may be harder than you think to replace it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe yours is the older example that was built for the civilian market but more closely matches the original Air Force rifle. Cz purchased and produced them later on, that is the type that I have and more commonly seen. I’ve only seen one other like yours for sale, so I’d assume it was produced less in comparison. That may make it more valuable but not necessarily as rare and valuable are not always synonymous. I would definitely be proud to own it and enjoy it! I like my CZ example and it’s the second one I’ve owned. Just know if you sell yours it may be harder than you think to replace it!

Thank you so much! This helps! Ohh heck no I’m not ever going to sell it, this like all the other guns my dad bought me or gave to me, i don’t own (in my eyes). They are all meant to stay in the family and go on to the next generations. But, I was shocked when I saw online how popular these things have become. It got me curious, and since it didn’t say CZ on it or have many of the features most peoples have that I’ve seen, I’ve been curious to find out more about it. Your post has helped a lot, so thank you!

·
Registered
570 Posts
Thank you so much! This helps! Ohh heck no I’m not ever going to sell it, this like all the other guns my dad bought me or gave to me, i don’t own (in my eyes). They are all meant to stay in the family and go on to the next generations. But, I was shocked when I saw online how popular these things have become. It got me curious, and since it didn’t say CZ on it or have many of the features most peoples have that I’ve seen, I’ve been curious to find out more about it. Your post has helped a lot, so thank you!
Yeah the prices over the last 5 years have really escalated. There used to be a ton of accessories for the M6 Scout for sale about 7-8 years ago. Then those dried up, then the prices started to rise. A nice example by itself might be able to be had for $600 but you find a stainless one, or it has one of the case options or a factory red dot, etc and the prices are hitting $1,000+

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah the prices over the last 5 years have really escalated. There used to be a ton of accessories for the M6 Scout for sale about 7-8 years ago. Then those dried up, then the prices started to rise. A nice example by itself might be able to be had for $600 but you find a stainless one, or it has one of the case options or a factory red dot, etc and the prices are hitting $1,000+

They made newer ones with factory red dots on them? That would be cool to have! I kind of want to buy a second one now. Id probably get the, I think its called, tps or whomever is making them nowadays. The chiappas look pretty cool too but I just like the classic look of the original m6’s. After researching all of this it makes me not want to take this one out anymore. With mine saying Springfield on it and not CZ would that mean mine was made by Springfield and not imported or outsourced to another company?

·
Registered
570 Posts
They made newer ones with factory red dots on them? That would be cool to have! I kind of want to buy a second one now. Id probably get the, I think its called, tps or whomever is making them nowadays. The chiappas look pretty cool too but I just like the classic look of the original m6’s. After researching all of this it makes me not want to take this one out anymore. With mine saying Springfield on it and not CZ would that mean mine was made by Springfield and not imported or outsourced to another company?
I’m not an expert on these by any means and there isn’t a ton of information out there but yes I believe it was made by “Springfield”. If I were looking to add another to my collection or to shoot regularly I’d definitely get the TPS. They have a wide range of caliber options (I’d love to get one in .357 magnum) and they have a standard trigger versus the lever/bar. The red dots/scopes were nothing special, just branded by Springfield for the M6. However throwing a long eye relief scope or red dot on these rifles is a nice feature, ultimately accuracy is limited by your control of the trigger with the less traditional lever bar. That said mine have always been accurate with .22!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts