1911Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one know why Colt uses plastic triggers on 1991's other than saving a buck?

·
Administrator
74,721 Posts
To save a buck. Unless you LIKE a flat, black plastic blob sticking out of your gun, in which case there's two reasons.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Originally posted by dsk:
To save a buck. Unless you LIKE a flat, black plastic blob sticking out of your gun, in which case there's two reasons.

Guess there's only one reason. Took the plastic trigger out of my Series 80 Govt 9mm a few years back and put in a Videcki. When I sold it, I forgot to take the Videcki out. Was looking in my 1911 parts box the other day and there it is, in all it's plastic glory!
What to do with it now? ha, ha NAA.

------------------
Colt 1911: Best damn "Government" in the World!

·
Registered
149 Posts
In defense of the plastic trigger : If you go for light trigger pull one of the hazards are hammer following when releasing slide with slide stop. One major cause is trigger bouncing which is directly related to trigger weight.

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
I think it saves more than a buck. And consider when you buy a Colt your compromise is 0. No matter if it looks nice or not. Its going to work effectively all the time. And the cost is more like $100 at least. With the extra labor of a custom trigger assembly. I don't know why I am speaking in such detail like this. As we all own 1 or usually more Colts. I now stand at attention to CNNs coverage of our men and women. And the bombs and missles of intelligent Americans searching for their target with no prejudice or forgiveness.

·
Banned
5,943 Posts
Well, all I can say is that for 10 years that black plastic trigger works like a champ. Went to an adjustable metal trigger years back and believe it or not, put the plastic back into my 1991.
Regards,
Sam

·
3,005 Posts
If anybody is confused what to do with all of those ugly plastic blobs....I have been volunteering for quite some time now to dispose of them properly. Please send all plastic blobs and other crap stock parts and full length guiderods to me and lets not clutter up those landfills.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
So Colt trys on a small scale years ago to do what Glock was doing about the same time. Glock has moved on to become the largest supplier of LE handguns in the US, and we're still ripping Colt for trying to use plastic. Yet, we wonder why Colt doesn't change anything or bring anything new out. Go figure.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Believing in Colts knowledge with 1911's (a.k.a.1991's) I wondered if the plastic parts were considered an improvement by Colt?

·
Banned
5,943 Posts
Originally posted by col132:
So Colt trys on a small scale years ago to do what Glock was doing about the same time. Glock has moved on to become the largest supplier of LE handguns in the US, and we're still ripping Colt for trying to use plastic. Yet, we wonder why Colt doesn't change anything or bring anything new out. Go figure.
Hey Col132....
I can only think of one word "tradition." Colt's were always all steel, other than the grips. When Colt saw that people were willing to accept plastic Glocks, Colt gave it a try. The triggers work great, but, "tradition" sometimes gets in the way. When Colt made the switch from Series 70 to 80 guns, "tradition" caused many Colt fans to question this change regardless of whether the change worked. The Colt 1911 has become an institution. People don't like to see their institutions changed. Tradition is a hard obstacle to overcome.

Regards,
Sam

1 - 11 of 11 Posts