1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked at a new Colt Govt. model today. It said on the slide 1991 A1. Now, I have owned a 1991 in the past and they were all parkerized. This one was blue. The slide was polished on the flat sides and the rest of the pistol was bead blasted. All of the gun was a dark blue - black. The barrel was either stainless or in the white. Another thing that was different; the barrel ramp hand an indentation in the center. It almost looked like it was set up for ball ammo only.
I'm thinking of trading for the gun, but am wondering about these changes. Thanks in advance for any help. Shoot Safe.....CO

------------------
"I won't be wronged, I
won't be Insulted, and I
won't be laid a had on. I
don't do these things to
other people and I
require the same from
them." From the movie
"The Shootist."

·
Administrator
73,431 Posts
That's all stock. The latest M1991A1s have a blued, not parkerized finish. Furthermore, they've begun to put a surface-ground finish on the slide flats of both the blued and STS models. The barrels are all now unfinished (not sure if they're stainless or not). The funny-looking barrel throat is actually a new way of ramping the gun to feed JHP ammo. Word has it from other owners that it works great. You didn't mention the trigger on your gun, but tey're coming out of the factory with either the solid plastic, solid aluminum, or three-hole aluminum variety.

Within a couple of months expect to see ones with better-looking rollmarks too.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Registered
183 Posts
Dsk, so the new government models can be had with aluminum triggers? I have not seen one yet, but think it's a great idea. I heard from a Colt rep. that Videki went out of business. If that's true, I can't imagine why since the biggest named 1911 makers use Videki triggers in the factory.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
I just picked up one of these a few weeks ago. It has dull blue frame and polished blue with the new rollmarks on it. The trigger was solid plastic and the MSH was flat plastic. I've replaced the trigger with a lightweight, short videcki trigger and the MSH with an arched, blue steel from Wilsons. The barrel is stainless steel with the new indentation. At the range I fired 500 rounds of 230gr FMJ and 200 rounds of Winchester 230gr HP with no problems. The next 100 rounds were CCI Speer 200gr HP, the famous flying ashtray rounds which cause most 1911's to jam. This Colt 1991 fed and fired all 100 rounds with NO problems. All in all I say this is typical Colt quality, in handguns that is.
The only other modification I'm going to make to this otherwise "stock" gun is to replace the grip safety with a Wilson Combat beavertail as my hand hesitates to fire any more rounds, besides, I've still got a sore from the last range outing.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dsk, the Colt I'm looking at has a plastic trigger. Glad to hear that the barrel ramp is OK. The slide seems to fit fairly tight. Trigger pull, I would guess at 5 pounds. I have some other 1911's but just want an old time looking thumb buster. Any one know what kind of groups you can get with a new 1911A1? Shoot Safe....CO

------------------
"I won't be wronged, I
won't be Insulted, and I
won't be laid a had on. I
don't do these things to
other people and I
require the same from
them." From the movie
"The Shootist."

·
Registered
987 Posts
Mine is exactly how you describe yours, bead blasted, except for the sides of the slide, which are polished, the gun pretty much looks flat black, except if you wait, you might find the new rollmarks like I did

1 - 6 of 6 Posts