1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've enjoyed shooting the hell out of my 91a1 gov model. Only addition I've added to it is the mccormick low mount sight and a kings beavertail. What I am trying to find are some dark wood grips that look good with the parkerized finish. I've tried rosewood too light), coco bolo (too orange) and ebony (too plain) from brownells and all are going back (all were arhends). What type wood looks classy on these pistols to y'all? (I know opinions vary) I'd like a dark wood with a darker/black grain.
Any ideas?
cheers,
Derek
Birmingham, AL

·
Registered
286 Posts
Go to Wilson's websits. I believe they have Ebony, so does Hogue. On my '91 I haveWilson's Diamondwood. It is grey with black grain, looks real cool on the gun.

------------------
Simian

NRA Life Member

·
Administrator
73,831 Posts
Remember also that no two grips of the same wood will look exactly alike. I also discovered that the manufacturers seem to like holding onto grips with the best grain patterns for "special occasions". Twice I bought Hogue grips that were improperly machined. Both times I received replacements in the mail that looked absolutely stunning compared to the plain-janes I originally bought.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just put a set of Ajax grips in silverwood on a stainless Colt Gold Cup. The black with gray grain should look really good on an all black gun. As a plus, you can get them with the Colt logo. You can choose a silver or gold logo.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Go to www.pickagrip.com and you can see the actual grips that are for sale. This way you can pick the grips that you think look the best. Of course you won't be able to return them if you don't like them but you get to see them before you buy.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts