1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks.I'm new here. Have always shot Glocks but decided to buy a Colt 1991A1. I bought it to use it as a platform for a custom shop to make my dream gun. From everything that I'd heard, I didn't expect much. When I finally got it, I noticed that it wasn't the baby rattle that I'd heard about, but rather a good fit, slide to frame. What gives? Do I not know what I'm looking at or has Colt improved there quality control? Thanks, Sam

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I think this slide to frame fit thing is way overblown. It may be important to match shooters, but I prefer that my gun works every time, and that is why a small amount of "play" is desireable. No doubt the older Colts were much looser than the newer models. All the newer model Colt's I have seen have a very nice slide to frame fit (1991A1, XS, XSE) and should be near perfect after a few hundred rounds have been put through them. Good choice, these are very nice guns.

·
Registered
302 Posts
The fit on the guns in the last year has been excellent. Barrels lock up tight, and the slide to frame fit is better. They are a great platform to build on. Most of my personal carry/defensive guns are 1991 based guns.

Brian

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Brian, Thanks for the information. I visited your web site. I'm in the process of deciding what I want in a defensive pistol. Your site was helpful. Hope you don't mind me asking for your advice in the future. Thanks, Sam

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've heard that Colt is now using CNC machining to produce 1991A1's. That is why the better fit. True or Bull S**t? Thanks, Sam

·
Registered
219 Posts
Howdy folks-

For what it's worth, I have a stainless gold cup that rattles like crazy, and I have to admit it bugs me.

BUT- that sloppy rattle-trap is VERY accurate.

Now I'm certainly no expert, but I have read many posts by those I trust who claim slide-frame fit has little to do with accuracy. I've seen figures like 5 to 10 percent.

Eric M.

·
Registered
251 Posts
bbl to bushing fit and bbl to slide have more to do with accuracy than slide to frame - sights are aligned with the bbl which is locked up in slide when firing - the slide can be pointed different directions from slide to frame fit and the sights follow. if it shoots well with a loose fit don't worry unless you want a tuned match pistol

·
Administrator
73,386 Posts
My blued Series 80 rattles too, yet out of the box it once printed a 5/8" 5-shot group at 25yds. Roughly 10,000 rounds later it still rattles, still keeps them under 2" at 25yds. Oh, by the way I even ran it 1,000 of those rounds without a single cleaning or re-oiling (tactical pistol match). Didn't jam even once. Yet I read articles in magazines from people like Duane Thomas or Wiley Clapp telling me it's supposed to jam if I let it go past 200 rounds or if I don't drown it in lube. I also notice how those folks typically show off their tightly-fitted custom pistols. Do you think there's a correlation there? Hmmm...

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
I would have to agree with the sentiment that slide to frame fit is not a major accuracy factor. I have a Gold Cup with typical "80's vintage" milspec slide/frame fit, but it groups well anyway.

Current production guns built in Colt's new factory are built on modern CNC equipment - and are the best 1911 production guns ever made, period. Try out a "new" Colt. You just may have to have one! Yours for new Toys, Col. Colt

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Seems like every one making 1911's brags about their state of the art cnc machining production. Wonder why it's such a big secret at Colt. You would think that they would be proud of the new "better" fit. Sam

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yet I read articles in magazines from people like Duane Thomas or Wiley Clapp telling me it's supposed to jam if I let it go past 200 rounds or if I don't drown it in lube.
I can't imagine that I ever said that. I mean, I once put almost 5,000 rounds of lead bullet handloads through my Wilson Defensive Combat Pistol, without cleaning and without malfunctions, so making a statement like that would have been pretty darn stupid of me.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have not seen a really bad 1991A1. The two I have won't leave me, until I find better. My standard Stainless out shot three different Kimbers, before I gave up on Kimbers and one of those was supposed to be a Match Grade. Two out of three Kimbers went back to the factory for correction.

I did get one stinker "Enhanced" 1911 Commander, so I will accept that there was a problem once. Colt's seems like it is on track today. I never could find proof that bad Colt's were all the "rampant". :)

I just wish those gawd awful front serration were not on there.

Jerry

·
Registered
7,801 Posts
Mr Duane Thomas.......sir, you are arguing with a thread that is 7 YEARS old !!!! Let it go......seek help .......:barf:

·
1,921 Posts
Duane Thomas,

You have been asked before to refrain from retaliating on the open forums, especially dredging up posts that are YEARS old just to do so. If you feel something was said that was uncalled for, contact a moderator offline and ask that they edit or remove the offending post or thread. The same goes for anybody here who feels they've been criticized or smeared by something said on this forum. If you have a problem with somebody, CONTACT A MODERATOR.

This crap is going to stop NOW.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.