1911Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, how does this finish look? glossy? satin? crappy? thinking of getting one the next time i splurge, so i'd like to know what you all think. thanks........

· Registered
23 Posts
The M1991A1 stainless finish is what Colt calls matte stainless. It's a gray rather than silver look, and it has virtually no gloss. I would classify it as a utility finish. I don't really like it, and I plan to have mine polished out in the flats and put a bead finish on the rounds, much like the XS or Gold Cup stainless pistols have.

Scott Mulkerin refers to the Colt matte stainless finish as being like blasting the finish with driveway gravel, and I don't disagree.

The finish is ugly, but the pistol underneath is another matter entirely. I've shot 548 rounds so far with 0 FTF, 0 FTE and it rings a 10" gong every time at 50 yards with good ammo and when I'm serious about it.

One word of advice, though. If you're looking at a Colt that's relatively new, don't worry about it's function, but look carefully at the sights. The last several pistols I've seen out of Colt and the Colt Custom shop have had very poor sight installation.

Best of Luck,

· Administrator
80,883 Posts
I polished out one I used to own. I was never able to get a really good finish on the flats because the sandblasting was so coarse that I was in danger of removing the rollmarks just to get the surface shiny. Colt's latest STS M1991A1s have surface-gound flats, so if you want to polish one I suggest getting one from the newest stock.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

[This message has been edited by dsk (edited 08-04-2001).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.