1911Forum banner

1991a1 vs 1911a1 NRM and all the other variations

2158 6
in looking at the different Colts im getting confused about the names and nomenclature...

there USED to be the Colt series 70 1911A1. then there was the series 80 MK IV. then the 1991A1 that came out in 91 with all of the plastic parts and a crappy black 'paint' looking finish...

i think that the series 80s MK IV was in production concurrently...

NOW im trying to decifer if the series 80 NRM is the same as a 1991A1 NRM and if so then i guess they got rid of that hideous 1991A1 roll mark on the slides...

they also are making series 70s again now right?

so am i reading this right?

series 70 reissue
series 80 NRM
series 80 1991A1 NRM

along with the enhanced models...

david
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
okay i think ive figured it out...

the series 80 NAME has been dropped and is now called the 1991A1 series...

the series 70 is the NRM model.

does the 1991A1 come as either a NRM or billboard marked or just NRM?

thanks

david

· Registered
94 Posts
The way I know it, the S80 sort of turned into the 1991A1, with the billboard rollmark, known as the ORM ("Old Roll Mark"). There is a new rollmark, the NRM, and that is now being produced. The S70 is a reproduction, which has a MKIV rollmark. Check out www.coltsmfg.com for more information, and I may be wrong, in which case I apologize.

· Administrator
80,888 Posts
ltdave,

You will go insane if you try to follow all the changes Colt has made over the past ten years to their 1911 handgun line. Trust me, it's impossible. Model numbers, rollmarks, finish, features, etc have all been screwed with multiple times. Just concern yourself with what Colt currently is making:

*Colt Series 80 Government Model, model 01991 and 01091 (blue/stainless). These are the "new rollmark" models which basically means they stopped using the big butt-fugly billboard rollmark, and now have a nicer finish and cleaner slide markings. They are mechanically the same as an older 1991, and also the same as the older Series 80 pistols before the 1991 series came out.

*Colt Series 70 Government Model reproduction, 01970A1CS and 01070A1CS (blue/stainless). These are new reproductions of the older Series 70 pistols w/o a firing pin safety. However they have larger sights than the originals and a solid barrel bushing.

*XSE Series. There are multiple models in Government and Commander length, and all are Series 80 w/firing pin safety. They have most (but not all) of the same features as Kimber and Springfield Loaded models.

*Defender. A pistol similar to the XSE, but ultra-compact in size.

*Series 70 Gunsite, Special Combat Government, WW1 Replica. These are limited-run pistols by the Custom Shop.

· Banned
254 Posts
Series 70 MKIV
Series 80 MKIV
Series 80 MKIV; Series 80 1991 Old Rollmark
Series 80 XS & XSEs (Different rollmarks than the MKIVs or 1991 Old Rollmarks)
Series 80 New Rollmark 1991s
Series 70 MK IV Reissue; Series 80 New Rollmark 1991s, Series 80 XSEs, Enhanced Models are Series 80 marked with either MKIV or with 1991 NRM.

Confused yet?

If it has a firing pin safety, its a Series 80.
mears

· Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
my current Colts (government model and combat commander) have:

COLT MK IV over ------SERIES 80------
on the slide. they have 3-dot sights, a beavertail gripsafety, plastic MSH and trigger, skeletonized hammer and flat-top slides.

i think these are series 80 XS models...

i didnt really want to shoot them a screw up the finish so ive been looking for another 'less new' Colt to take through the IDPA courses and maybe step to the bullseye firing line with...

i think i really need TWO new pistols. cant really expect one gun to be tuned for 2 different disciplines...

thanks everyone...

david

· Banned
254 Posts
ltdave said:
my current Colts (government model and combat commander) have:

COLT MK IV over ------SERIES 80------
on the slide. they have 3-dot sights, a beavertail gripsafety, plastic MSH and trigger, skeletonized hammer and flat-top slides.

i think these are series 80 XS models...

i didnt really want to shoot them a screw up the finish so ive been looking for another 'less new' Colt to take through the IDPA courses and maybe step to the bullseye firing line with...

i think i really need TWO new pistols. cant really expect one gun to be tuned for 2 different disciplines...

thanks everyone...

david
Sounds more like a pre-XS pistol. XS pistols did not have flat top slides.
mears

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.