1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my favorite local gun shops gave me a call today. They told me that a used Colt 1991A1 came in during a trade. Since the finish is pretty much shot on it, they couldn't sell it for a whole lot since most people go by appearance alone.

The price... $275

It'll make a nice base gun for some custom work.

·
Administrator
74,421 Posts
You're telling me. As a collector of GI .45s just one big nick or scratch can knock the value down hundreds!

BTW I've also found the finish on the M1991A1 to be not too durable to begin with. I once had one of the first ones made, and the thing would scratch if you just looked at it with a sharp eye!

·
Banned
5,943 Posts
dsk......
Did you ever notice the difference in the parkerized early 91A1's and the late 91A1's? I have an early 91A1 that doesn't even have the TM after M1991A1 and the finish seems to have small particles in the finish that sparkle in the light. What's the difference, new vs. old regarding finish?
Sam

ArmySon....
$275 is a great price for any Colt 91A1. does it have a "brother"?

Sam

[This message has been edited by SamColtFan (edited 06-29-2001).]

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by Cecelius:
Does that mean they might still have it and want to get rid of it?

Thanks,
Sorry, I snagged it up. I'm placing my order for a Kart barrel, Ed Brown parts and several other components this weekend

Here's the beast:

·
Administrator
74,421 Posts
That shows how pictures can be deceiving, as that finish doesn't look very worn at all to me.

SamColtFan, the finish difference is that the first ones were actually parkerized, which is why you saw the "Folgier's Crystals" in the finish. For the last 6 or 7 years though they've simply been matte blued.

[This message has been edited by dsk (edited 06-30-2001).]

·
Registered
696 Posts
Son,You stole that gun at $275.00.Glad to see someone get a good deal for a change.George got a similar deal not long ago.Maybe I should move to the Eastern part of the state so I could find some goodies too!tom.

------------------
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER

·
Banned
5,943 Posts
Originally posted by dsk:

SamColtFan, the finish difference is that the first ones were actually parkerized, which is why you saw the "Folgier's Crystals" in the finish. For the last 6 or 7 years though they've simply been matte blued.

[This message has been edited by dsk (edited 06-30-2001).]
Thanks dsk....
No wonder mine has held up so well. I never knew that Colt changed the finish on the 91A1's to matte blue. Any idea how many 91's were made without the "TM" after the "M1991-A1"?
Sam

·
Registered
372 Posts
Son if you are going to use a Ed Brown beavertail make sure you have Metalsmith weld up those corners although they are not as pronounced on the carbon frames they can still show up.The rollmark is the only set back IMO on the 1991'S too bad no horse but that aside they are pretty well machined .Take care Mike

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mike

Metal Smith and I added a Brown beavertail to my Les Baer. He welded up the corners on that frame too.

I was thinking about surface grinding the rollmarks off the gun. I did it to the Les Baer

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hey Son,

Here's a couple of question for you. If you grind the rollmarks off the slide, do the serrations need to be recut? How does it affect the appearence of the slide? Can you tell that it's thinner?

·
Registered
684 Posts
Can you post pictures of your LB with the roll marks taken off? I'd LOVE to see it!

I really like the look of plain slides and would love to do it my Springfield as they seem to go a bit crazy with the roll mark thing, IMHO!

·
Registered
684 Posts
Thanks! Looks great. Did you just work the middle of the slide or did you work the ends too to make it flat? No function problems due to the now lighter slide?

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Just worked the middle. You can't tell the difference due to the serrations. It plays tricks on your mind.

At any rate, reliability is never an issue because you're not taking away a lot of metal. Just think of the amount of metal taken away when you add front/rear cocking serrations, top of slide serrations or a Bomar sight cut on a plain jane 1911.

I should have ArmySon etched on the side now
Just kidding!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts