1911Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to Hi Power pistols but would like to get a surplus one, not a clone. Offered a 1950s and the seller is asking for $1k. It is a Mach1 imported. Is it too much even in today's market?

Please see the attached pics. Thank you.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood Gun accessory
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Wood stain
Air gun Trigger Wood Line Gun barrel
Hand Watch Revolver Wood Finger

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Import stamp brings it down IMHO. $800 is fair if you really want it. Remember these do not make the best shooters.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
the earlier internal extractors can be difficult to find and fix, should something go wrong with that part. I don't have any real opinion on the "value" of the gun, only you can determine what it is worth to you. If you intend to shoot it a lot, maybe a newer pistol might be better. Or one of the new S&W HP/s.

Not every "collector" firearm needs to be shot to be worth having. Sometimes, like some of my wife's jewelry, just knowing you have an item is enough, without having to justify acquiring it to wear or shoot it. Me, I have an unfired 1915 Luger, but I will never shoot it. But I like having it, just the same. NV

Reactions: pcke2000

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I can’t comment on the value since I don’t live in the US, but for that price I’d expect a pretty nice example.

The one in your post shows what appears to be a very thin blueing, especially on the left side. I see also some corrosion and pitting. The cover for the internal extractor is not well lined up, so it’s likely been messed with already.

Here’s my 1952 for comparison, it’s got a few dings and scratches (and was really cheap, $ 360 in 2014), but the blueing is very deep and nice.

·
Registered
897 Posts
For reference:

In September of 2019 I paid $600 (private sale) for a 1950 model with no import stamp, extra thick after market grips, minor surface rust from neglect and a bit of holster wear around the front edges. I modernized her a bit with SFS and could restore to original condition if I felt like it. She cleaned up nicely and shoots quite well. I have other High Powers with better sights, so this one does not get to the range often.

• You will be replacing all springs, especially the sear spring.
  • A new production extractor can be found at Jack First Gun Parts, Idaho, for about $100. Do not waste your time and money on old stock new or used extractors. This pistol did not need a new extractor, so I have a spare.

Cheers,

Tim

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Everyday carry

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Registered
323 Posts
Nothing is too much in today's market. $1k is the starting point for many used firearms ,,, handguns and long guns ... and to cheap out for a few bucks will often mean a lost opportunity. Go find another vintage HP in similar condition for < $1k and you'll have a better deal. Otherwise, if you want it, get it because it won't last.

You never pay too high a price, you just buy too early.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Nothing is too much in today's market. $1k is the starting point for many used firearms ,,, handguns and long guns ... and to cheap out for a few bucks will often mean a lost opportunity. Go find another vintage HP in similar condition for < $1k and you'll have a better deal. Otherwise, if you want it, get it because it won't last.

You never pay too high a price, you just buy too early.
I disagree. People are paying prices for BHPs right now that they will never recoup in their lifetimes. This guns is not a shooter. It is a collector vintage BHP. It has an import mark. It is surplus and its finish is not anywhere near pristine. Guns like this do not appreciate quickly. A similar gun in similar condition from the same surplus importer is on GB right now for $700 with 4 days left.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I am new to Hi Power pistols but would like to get a surplus one, not a clone. Offered a 1950s and the seller is asking for $1k. It is a Mach1 imported. Is it too much even in today's market?
Man, I think $1k is too much...unless someone knows something about it that I don't. You're obviously not a collector of these (and neither am I).

If I were you, I'd look for something a lot newer...at least one with a visible external extractor.

Like the bottom one here:

Office equipment Musical instrument accessory Bumper Auto part Font

·
Registered
1,439 Posts

Please see the attached pics. Thank you.
View attachment 623246 View attachment 623247 View attachment 623248 View attachment 623249
Rellascout knows his HP, you can bank on that.
For that amount, and a shooter I might be looking for the MKIII.
I have a 69 "T" Series and a MKIII, the MKIII sights are a lot easier to see and it's truly a bulls eye shooter, extremely accurate.
I paid $1k for it right before Browning made there announcement, but it's in almost perfect condition too.
Grille Mesh Wood Automotive exterior Line

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Rellascout knows his HP, you can bank on that.
For that amount, and a shooter I might be looking for the MKIII.
I have a 69 "T" Series and a MKIII, the MKIII sights are a lot easier to see and it's truly a bulls eye shooter, extremely accurate.
I paid $1k for it right before Browning made there announcement, but it's in almost perfect condition too.
View attachment 623304
Thanks for the kind words. To me it is all about what you want from the gun. If you are looking for a vintage piece it is different than looking for a stock shooter or base gun. There are differences and nuances that make one better than another. If I was looking for a vintage "collector" I would look for something like this. Condition is everything. For those type of guns I am looking for a time capsule.

If I am looking for a pure shooter or base gun I am going to pick a forged frame MKIII.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I am from Belgium, once the country of the FN/GP. I carried it as a leo for twenty years. To be honest I don't like the gun. Its reliable, for sure, but at more than 7 meters it has no accuracy. Good enough for self defense at that distance but there it ends. The value here is from 300 to 500 euro for good specimen.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I am from Belgium, once the country of the FN/GP. I carried it as a leo for twenty years. To be honest I don't like the gun. Its reliable, for sure, but at more than 7 meters it has no accuracy. Good enough for self defense at that distance but there it ends. The value here is from 300 to 500 euro for good specimen.
It’s no Sig P210 for sure but it’s not that bad imo

My ‘52 at 25 m

My ‘79 capitan at 25 m

At 50 m with shoulder stock

The worst shooter is the ‘43 build under German occupation. It still hits the target at 25m

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Thanks for the kind words. To me it is all about what you want from the gun. If you are looking for a vintage piece it is different than looking for a stock shooter or base gun. There are differences and nuances that make one better than another. If I was looking for a vintage "collector" I would look for something like this. Condition is everything. For those type of guns I am looking for a time capsule.

If I am looking for a pure shooter or base gun I am going to pick a forged frame MKIII.

Couldn't agree more, these are essentially two very different creatures collected for different reasons.
My 69 "T" is almost flawless, but with the tiny little blade sights I can't hit crap with it. However, with the same ammo on the same day was able to dance a Barbie doll's head around on the ground from about 20+ feet with the MKIII's white outlined sights.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
It’s no Sig P210 for sure but it’s not that bad imo

My ‘52 at 25 m

My ‘79 capitan at 25 m

At 50 m with shoulder stock

The worst shooter is the ‘43 build under German occupation. It still hits the target at 25m

I was thinking the same thing. They are not tack drivers at 50 yards but they are more than most shooters are at 25 yards and in. I have found them to be 3-4" guns are 24 yards without any heavy work done to them. Often a little trigger work and a barrel crowning gets them in the 3" range pretty quickly if you can do your part. I don't shoot for tiny groups at longer ranges. I do 99% of my shooting off hand and I can hit man sized targets with a BHP at 25+ yards which is good enough for me. I have guns that can do better but I am always the weakest link in the chain. Pretty much every gun in the safe is mechanically more accurate than I am.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Bore looks kinda rough. :(

1 - 19 of 19 Posts