1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my first Colt today, model 04691, G.I. Commander in black. Is this a good base model?

·
Registered
293 Posts
this is not only a good base model for adding things on later, but its a great gun just to buy and use (always run some rounds through any gin though to insure function)

they are good combat "save your life" weapons.

you did good.

i found that my colts work really well with chip mccormick 8 round shooting star mags, they are cheaper than the others, and work great. just match your ammo to your gun and mags and you will ahve a handgun second to none.

russel the cop

------------------
CHANCE FAVORS THE PREPARED MIND....

·
Administrator
74,398 Posts
A Commander/Officers ACP longevity tip that I have learned: On Series 80 guns the underside of the slide gets peened around the disconnector notch by the hammer over time. The reason is the thinner bridge of metal on one side of the cutout on the CMDR/OACP guns vs. the Governments, due to the use of a wider ejector. What I do is replace the factory hammer with an aftermarket one that uses a repositioned hammer strut hole, such as Ed Brown's or the Wilson Bulletproof. That way the hammer will have less tension on it at full cock, and hit the underside of the slide with less force during recoil and thus lessen the peening effect.

The reason I learned this was I once had a blued Series 80 Commander, and after a few hundred rounds the thin bridge of metal got peened over so that the slide wouldn't close. Not all guns will do this of course, but mine sure did. Once I replaced the hammer the problem went away.

On non-Series 80 guns, there are two bridges of metal on each side of the notch so it doesn't happen at all. But on the S80's the FP plunger hole removes one of the bridges, leaving the other thin bridge to deal with the hammer blow during recoil.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://usgi1911.tripod.com

[This message has been edited by dsk (edited 11-10-2001).]

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You did good, no matter whether it's your first Colt or you 20th Colt. Colt is currently making the best 45's on the market.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for the comments and very helpful information about my Commander. I have always wanted a 1911 and am glad I went with the Colt. Trying to learn as much as I can.

·
Registered
284 Posts
blacklab-

I think you "done good". Welcome to the realm of 1911 shooters. Just be warned of one thing though, these things are ADDICTIVE"!!

I recently purchased a new M1991A1 Commander and although I haven't had any time to do any range time to determine group sizes, etc., I did qualify with it right out of the box. It shot one BIG ragged hole in the center of an FBI "Q" target.One FTF from an old Colt mag and one FTF from some old Remington JHPs in a Wilson mag. The only thing I'm changing is the grip safety and the sights (have large hands and old eyes, need BIG 3-dots).

Enjoy your purchase and stay safe.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY USMC!!

[This message has been edited by Witherspoon (edited 11-10-2001).]

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I am a Colt fan and most of all I am a Commander fan. For me the Colt Commander is the right size for daily carry and all around use. The GM's have their place in the line up too but I prefer the Commander.

I think ya' did real good in your selection. And, Welcome to the Forum.

------------------
No man is above the law and no man is below it. Nor do we ask any mans permission when we require him to obey it.

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
Here's one for you. Yesterday in the LAS VEGAS REVIEW-JOURNAL newspaper. Was a COLT 45 Semi Auto USArmy 1911 Model 2 clips, extra shells $400. I get the paper daily but work nights and sleep during the day. I fell out of my shorts running for the phone. But the gun was of course sold. You know the A1s never did much for me. But a deal like this was a screamer for the lucky recipient. And a Commander is one I don't own either. But 80s or even 70s don't bring many. Running faster than their clothes g force failure rate. Yet are very excellent guns to shoot or make cave ladies in certain models. Good for you blacklab. I like your name and your weapon selection.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts