1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
5-31-01 at 16:35 hours I purchased my next project gun . I get a thrill out of buying cheap guns and seeing what I can do with them as the folks I run with cannot afford Wilsons and Baers . We are more the 350 to 550 range group . So anytime a new gun comes out I usually get one . Shoot it , correct what needs fixing and evaluate it . I have built up Norincos , FEG hipower clones and copies of Colt 45s in the past .
I love 1911s but being the recent owner of two dime sized kidney stones which are now appraised at about 11,ooo.oo through my local hospital I had to part ways with my prized colt/wilson hybrid .
Well enough crying for now . The Charles Daly I aquired was bought through a local dealer , no special gun here . Its a blued model which looks more like a finish I saw on a 1996 a2 Wilson gun kind of satiny and sexy looking . The finish is as perfect as I have seen on any gun much less a gun of less than 400.00 , I was amazed . It has front and rear cocking serrations , dovetailed front sight , scalloped ejection port , what appears to be a stainless barrel . Two 8 rd. mags that I beleive to be Mec-Gar made models . It came in a blow molded hardcase embossed with the C-D name , a gun lock and instructions plus a NRA program that gives 10.00 of the usual membership price .
I played around with the gun and was impressed by most everything I saw except that goofy looking slide stop , where did this thing come from . And the mainspring housing was much to small in width to fill the frame and also did not match up with the bottom of the frame . I decided to test it factory stock out of the box as an acid test . I was apprehensive of the sharp edge along the lower edge og the barrel chamber but planned a little polishing of that area later . I fed several empty casings through the gun and it fed each of them . I then loaded up some snap caps and did some dry firing , the trigger job or lack of was annoying to me with grit , slack and overtravel that would make a baja racing truck envious . After awhile the trigger got better . I loaded up some starfire 230 grain hollowpoints and took aim , not knowing what I was in for . The first shot was right on the Birchwood Casey Shoot-n-see target giving me a big glowing green hole . The next 7 rounds only opened up the hole bigger . I looked down at the 369.00 plus tax gun in my hand in disbelief,that Here I had spent hundreds of dollars more on expensive guns that shot no better . More ammo loaded and more satisfying results . 230 grain ball , 230 grain sxt's , some old L.E. only black talon I had . It all shot great . Not one jam , fail to feed , nothing but shooting fun . I shot around 75 to 90 rounds as that was all I had on hand . Now off to tear into it . After reading the manual and of course totally ignoring the words " warranty voided by monkeying with our stuff man " or something like that I grabbed my dremel tool and took off that sharp edge and polished the ramp and barrel opening , this is just personal preference . I did not change anything only smoothed and removed that sharp edge that possibly could cause a rough area leading to a jam . Then I disassembled the gun to the bare bones . There were burrs on the frame lugs on the bottom of the barrel near the link these were removed carefully . The link inspected , it was circular not elongated like I have heard of them being . The disconnector had a molding mark on it that was rough as a cob , this was polished out with a mirror shine left , again remove no metal only the burrs . The firing pin and channel were filled with stout grease and reddish colored crud , this was cleaned . I then checked the firing pin it had some rough spots on it . A little time spent turning those spots in an emery cloth left it smooth as silk . The extractor was also covered in crud , it was cleaned and the tension checked , it was acceptable . The hammer hooks were sharp and crisp but not evenly wearing , this I corrected with about three passes of the stone . The sear was left alone . I replaced the mainspring housing with a nylon one left over from a Colt project .It filled up the space of the original sloppy peice of cast junk . I installed a Wilson guide rod assembly and re-oiled the proper spots and reassembled the whole mess . I then went shooting . This thing gobbled up everything I threw in the mags and shot great . I am impressed with the amount of gun for the money . this is a new production gun with the improved beavertail with a sort of memory groove hump on its lower edge .

My gripes with the gun are as follows :
the mainspring housing being out of spec .
The big ole goofy slide lock soon to be changed for a colt style .
The trigger is junk , soon to be changed to a Videcki or Wilson type adjustable trigger.

The grips , where in the world did these ugly as sin plastic things come from , did the C.D. folks really think we wouldnt notice these things are butt ugly and the checkering is not even close to looking respectable .
And last those grip screws are hideous to.

These are minor gripes but ones I plan to change .

The way I look at it the gun is my cost 369.00 plus tax .

parts to make perfect .
grips 20.00
mainspring housing 25 .oo
screws 8.50 if I dont need bushings to .
trigger 17.50
I could also replace the hammer and sear with Wilsons drop in value line stuff but will test this stuff out first . The trigger did really shape up great on this gun after about 200 rds of shooting which is what the old gunshop cronies who have the C.D.s told me . Their advice was this " hose er down with W.D. 40 and shoot the crap out of it about 300 rds then see what ya think .

I think I have found a much better replacement for a cheap base gun than the military style Norincos we used to build and alot more nice features out of the box .

I trust mine enough to carry it already .

I think I will carry it in my custom Sharkskin carry rig from Rafter S Gunleather where I work part time when I am not on Patrol with my Sheriffs Dept. You can see our stuff at www.raftersgunleather.com

[This message has been edited by JAFO216 (edited 06-02-2001).]

·
Registered
233 Posts
jak sound like a accurate evaluation of your new daly
i have hade simler results as well. i have already replaced the slide parts to ed brown's and used the wilson's parts for the frame. i have CMC rearsights and grips and slide release. and stainless allenhead screws and bushins. i have a match grade ss barrelbushing"....it fits tight,but im still able to remove it by hand. and i use wilson's and CMC magazines. im going to continue to shoot as is for now. but after a thousand or so rounds i'll give it another once over and if every thing holds up like i exspect it too"....im going to have armor coated with any sharp edges removed first
i just recently stippled the froint strape and mainspring housing.so far everything has worked out beautifuly well. most of my changes wasnt nessisary, but i wanted a low priced gun to spruce up too. i bought a ace .45 checkered mainspring housing i liked very well,but after stippling my froint strape, i decided to stipple the dalys mainspring housing and it turn out quiet well....so i put it back on so that it would match the froint strape
it has a nice feel and a hell of a gripp. and i have a kings oversized matchgrade adjustable trigger, and it has {very} little creep in the trigger pull-befor it dissengages sear & trigger.if you like a picture?let me know...i can e-mail you one
good luck and happy shooting

·
Registered
802 Posts
JAFO

Glad to hear it's a good one.

Does yours have the Novak style rear sight? I'm assuming it is one of the new Enhanced models...

Hope Daly will be able to get the QC level up - what the world needs is a good reliable 1911 for $400

JSP

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no the rear site is just like a Colt 1991 style , I want a low profile style that will fit in the factory dovetail . Any suggestions mr. beam CMC ? are they in brownells catalog if so which size do I need .

·
Registered
233 Posts
jafo, they are in the brownell catalog pg443 but they cost 72.80 pluss s.h, for the plan ones, 148.00 for the tritiums,pluss s&h. it doesnt show saling them seperatly. you only need the rearsight since your present froint sight is the same height as the one you need with this rear sight. your froint sights should be .190"hieght that the hieght on my daly. anyway go to cmc web site and buy them ok,because they cost less and another thing is you dont have to pay shipping and handling
any way the rear sights are 47.95
as i mention befor they fit the daly dovetail perfectly,just knock out the old one-and-slide in the new one...tighten the allen head screw, and than your in bussiness
put some locktight on the threads
i drilled a little impressing on the face of my frointsight just below the little ramp..and added a dot of white paint into it
custom looking...and quick target lineup,even if you fire rapidly
youll really like them assure you of that. others have given me alot of complements. well i hope this has been of some help,just order the standard goverment mdl.they have them for hi-powers
order#81046 $47.95 that on cmc web site youll see them when you go there.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jim Beam , I got the E-mail pics that is a Cherles Daly , it looks like a gunsite pistol or thunder ranch special . That is one good lookiing peice . I like the stippled front strap thats neat . You really have done alot of work havent you . You should be proud of that gun its cool looking and I bet it works to , common sense parts and customizing is my game also . Later man . Thanks for the pics and info .

·
Registered
288 Posts
Originally posted by JAFO216:
Jim Beam , I got the E-mail pics that is a Cherles Daly , it looks like a gunsite pistol or thunder ranch special . That is one good lookiing peice . I like the stippled front strap thats neat . You really have done alot of work havent you . You should be proud of that gun its cool looking and I bet it works to , common sense parts and customizing is my game also . Later man . Thanks for the pics and info .
Hi Jim Beam,

Would you mind posting a full pic of your Daly or mind emailing me one as well? I only saw the stippled frontstrap from a pic you posted. Thanks!

·
Banned
1,607 Posts
Jafo, the barrel is actually chrome plated. I have worked on 6 or 7 CDs, mostly trigger jobs, and can say they are a good buy for the money. The two that I have had,pre-Enhanced and Enhanced, shot 25 yd groups of less than 1 1/2". I replace the hammer and sear 50% of the time as the stock ones can be a little off. The trigger is junk. A couple that I worked on had some holes that were off also.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Interesting.
I have a friend looking to replace the rear sight on his CD - do you have a link for the "cmc" website?
Thanks

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I took out my safety this evening and tried one from my Colt 1991a1 and guess what it fit right in and has the proper contact with the sear so now I have two safeties for my C.D. . Now I am trying to decide what other parts to replace other than the slide stop . Everything seems to be holding up fine but I wonder how long the cast parts will last . I know that Kimber , Wilson and Colt all use some cast or Metel Injection Molded parts but I wonder about that good ole Phillipheno quality control . Should I replace the following .
Firing pin
hammer
sear
Trigger - yes i already know this junker is going .
springs , firing pin , mainspring , sear spring and recoil spring , how have these been holding out . I know to replace the recoild spring every thousand or so rds. so thats not a problem .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts